Disclaimer on receipt when selling extra roos?

I don't worry about it once the bird leaves my hands it's out of my control. I ususally don't ask and they don't tell. I know what happens to most of the roosters.

Sorry but I had to put this.

Coq au vin (French: "rooster in wine") is a French fricassee of rooster cooked with wine, lardons, mushrooms, and optionally garlic. Older roosters are traditionally used because they contain a lot of connective tissue, which creates a richer broth when cooked.
big_smile.png

Morning, Twila! I think that's where I may have done wrong in this last transaction, talking about butchering them. It's sometimes difficult to not address it, as most everyone I've sold or given extra roos away to asks questions such as, "Are they big enough to butcher now, or should I grow them out a bit?" or "Are they good for roasting, or should they be poached?" If someone asks a direct question such as that, it's kind of nutty to respond, "These roosters are being sold as breed stock." or "pet quality" I'll have to be more careful in the future about how I state things.

Ridgerunner, my friend said she agrees with you, that a basic as-is clause would be fine, or a statement right on the Craigslist or Bestfarmbuys ad would suffice as well. She urged that I print off responses to the add for proof.

HA! Just saw your post, roosterjerry - I guess I could just put at the bottom of my ad, "roosters being sold for use in Coq au vin only"

Last edited:
Quote:
Printouts are a great idea.

I can see the ad title now- Coq Au Vin Roosters Need Homes- And then explaining it is NOT a recognized breed!

Quote:
Heheh, how I, for one, would address this under the guise of, "I am selling breeding stock roosters and not birds explicitly for butchering. But if this were a meat bird, then *answer of question*".

The only way I can think of that you could possibly held liable is if you sold a rooster for meat and you had it on antibiotics or something. Even then that's a long shot. If a person got sick from eating a chicken, it would be because the meat or the carcass was mishandled in some way. And that is not your resposibility.

Quote:
Good point, since you cannot know how it was handled after it left your property.

I have been selling extra roosters from hatches. Presumably, the folks buying them are buying them to eat. My brother asked me the other day if this is legal...and mentioned that he wondered if someone got sick from eating one, would they have a good reason to sue me? I'd never thought of that before (I'm pretty naiive!!).

Don't feel bad. I was planning on selling my extra eggs and never once considered what I would do if someone sued me. For that matter, I never thought anyone would sue me. Sad the times we live in now...
hmm.png

How much more feedback do you need? Your friend has earned a 'juris doctorate', after all.
Sounds like she's given you some good advice... pro bono at that.

I'd take it.

Back
Top Bottom