Discolored comb and swelling around eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HMitchell, Jun 8, 2016.

1. HMitchell

HMitchell New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Help! I'm a new (this year)chicken mom and have a very friendly PBR roo. Bob is 15wks old and I noticed yesterday that his comb is discolored and he had some swelling around left eye. No sign of injury, rt eye is fine, temps have been 70-80's during the day and high 50's-low 60's at night. I would appreciate any suggestions! [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wonder if he may be developing fowl pox. If you put that in the search box , it will come up. You can see if the symptoms match. It would still be good to post in detail on the E/R thread. Hope Bob will be back to normal soon.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your roo! The discoloration looks like circulation issues possibly in connection with the swelling around his eyes. He could have a sinus infection. I would get him started on some antibiotics. Sinus infections respond will to Tylan. Either the injections or the water soluble type.

I am going to move this over to the Emergency section for you for more help. Good luck with your boy, I hope you can get him fixed up soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by