discoloured or just dirty?

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
my top hen, who has the biggest comb out of my three girls, has a weirdly brown looking comb. is it just dirty, or is it turning color? i tried to wipe it off with a dry cloth but nothing changed. sorry if this is a dumb question, i just noticed that it’s been like this for a couple days so i’m curious if it’s something that i’m doing wrong.
40DFA9A8-7470-423E-B0A2-406A2FFEC78C.png

That looks like frost bite, is it cold were you live? Here is a pic of frost bite in chickens (look at top of comb see that blue/black spot?)

Attachments

• Screenshot (211).png
    Screenshot (211).png
    569.5 KB · Views: 12
In cases of frostbite you do NOT want to mess with it. Doing so is very painful and can cause severe bleeding.
Applying stuff to combs and wattles actually is not helpful as a prevention or treatment.
The only time frostbite should be touched is if there is infection.

In cases of frostbite you do NOT want to mess with it. Doing so is very painful and can cause severe bleeding.
Applying stuff to combs and wattles actually is not helpful as a prevention or treatment.
The only time frostbite should be touched is if there is infection.
okay thank you! it doesn’t look like it bothers her at all, it’s been muddy here so i’m assuming it’s just dried on dirt. for future references, is there anything i can do to help prevent frostbite? it does get very cold here in canada, especially with how big her comb is- sometimes i worry.

okay thank you! it doesn’t look like it bothers her at all, it’s been muddy here so i’m assuming it’s just dried on dirt. for future references, is there anything i can do to help prevent frostbite? it does get very cold here in canada, especially with how big her comb is- sometimes i worry.

Lets ask @Alaskan about any special needs in extreme climates.

It gets really cold here but not as extreme as some places.

Back
Top Bottom