Discouraged by sudden predator problems. :(

I agree with the hotwire definitely! As far as relocation goes, don't do it. If that coon ever finds his/her way back. You will have a very tough animal to trap again! It may also become a problem for someone else! I understand compassion for animals and I do my best not to do anything more than I have to do for flock protection by predator elimination. I use hotwire with good success, though, a determined raccoon with a "taste" of fresh chicken already on his breath my find ways around it. I know you don't want to kill it but, death is not unnatural and many times is the best course of action.
Good luck and I hope you can get this resolved without any more losses to your flock!

It is irresponsible to trap and relocate a raccoon. It will just terrorize someone elses livestock. Trap and shoot it. We just shot one tonight on top of my coop. They terrorize my babies they will pay for it. I've spent a lot of time and money on my chickens. To even think about relocating the "poor" coon is ridiculous.

My wife is a wildlife rehabber too, and the best lesson she got from that is: Not everything lives. She is now MUCH more sanguine about death, recognizing that it is many times the best option. You have to figure out your own position, just letting you know that rehabbers aren't always against killing. There are worse fates than a quick, merciful death.

Although I sympathize with your moral dilemma, let me add my vote to NOT RELOCATING the raccoon if you are lucky enough to trap it.

Raccoons are rabies vectors and can carry roundworms that can infect the soil children play in. Their urine can cause leptospirosis in people and pets.

Would your conscience be clear with relocating a disease vector to threaten other people and animals?

Don't do it. The risks to others are too great.

I'm aware that everything does not live. I am a vegetarian and against killing animals for most reasons, but believe it or not I am not naive at all either. I have personally put down a great many animals, but only when the animal was going to die anyway and it was the right thing to do to ease their suffering. As I said before, I will consult will my fellow wildlife rehabbers, including those who raise and release raccoons and see what their opinions are on the matter. If the generally agreed-upon consensus is to release, I will do so out in the middle of nowhere where the raccoon will not be an issue for other people. We are lucky to have miles and miles of forest here uninhabited by people, so I'm more concerned with disease and population dynamics than endangering other peoples' critters, as I know places to release where that would not be an issue. If the consensus is to put the raccoon down, that is what I will do, and I will make sure it is done quickly and humanely.

Of course, this is all assuming my neighbor and his gun don't find the raccoon first, and assuming I can even trap it.

Sorry for your losses,however this is what happens when livestock is not secured properly.You can relocate or kill the coon, but another will just takes it place.I would never leave my livestock unsecured and availble to climbing predators.Its amazing you only had a skunk visit in the 14 yrs you've kept poultry...!IMO you've been very fortunate for so few losses over the yrs.Sorry again, hope you secure your coops, etc. so your birds are safe from coons, etc...

if you catch it take some PINK paint construction guys use it to paint lines on the earth to know where to dig trenches put a pink stripe down the animals back while it is in the cage then take it 30-40 miles away and wait 3-5 days it will be easy to recognize they have an incredible sense about how to get back before you transport it check to see if it is wet a lot are lactating right now

Back
Top Bottom