Discovered an easy way to keep meat birds cool!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by backintime, Jul 25, 2013.

1. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Over the past few years I've struggled to keep my flock cool on the really sweltering summer days. Neither meat birds nor laying hens like to get sprayed with water. This summer I tried turning the hose nozzle on "MIST" and hooked it on the fence. Voila! Most every broiler waddled in and parked under the cool mist. They didn't move even after getting drenched. Seems like the bigger droplets scare them, but the mist does not.
  2. CaroleK

CaroleK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    North Idaho
    It's supposed to be 95 again today. I'm going to try this. I set up a simple sprinkler yesterday, but they didn't go near it. They look so miserable with their mouths open and their wings spaced out. They do free range and can find a variety of conditions, but 95 is still hot, even out west with very low humidity. I'll let you know what they think.
  3. pfoster

pfoster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    We've put multiple blocks of ice in the tractor with them and the cuddle up to them.
  4. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    During our summer when my birds were suffering from the heat I'd freeze water in 2 liter plastic coca-cola bottles and just lay them in the pen. In no time the birds were drapped all over them cooling off.

In the evening after things had cooled down and the ice had melted, the bottles would go back in the freezer to be ready for the next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by