discovered hedgehog near coop

elaineinspain

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2016
Costa Blanca South, Spain
This morning, while watering my veggies, I noticed a hedgehog carrying dry leaves in it's mouth and disappearing under a pile of wood pallets in the paddock next to my coop. What sort of experiences, if any, have chicken keepers had with hedgehogs?

Where do you live that there are hedgehogs? I would think they could steal eggs, even snatch chicks....

Where do you live that there are hedgehogs? I would think they could steal eggs, even snatch chicks....
I'm in south east Spain. The farmers here have mixed opinions about them. Some say they're good to have around as they eat baby rats, and snails, some say for me to be careful as they are opportunists and if hungry would steal eggs or chicks from under the broody.

Here's an article you might all be interested in: http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/231594/Henhouse-murder-mystery-the-hedgehog-did-it

There's a lady down south of us in New Zealand, Fiordland Cochins who has had hedgehogs attack her birds. I got the link for the article from her facebook page.
Exactly this is what I am worried about. I'd better check round my coop again and make sure it is completely predator proof as I have 2 broodies in there sitting on eggs due to hatch in 2 days...

Back
Top Bottom