Disease- Vaccine Questions

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My family has been very concerned about our chickens getting salmonella. We have someone in the family that is immune compromised so we want to try the best to keep our chickens heathy and disease free. I came across the Megan Vac1 Salmonella Vaccine and would like to give this to my chickens. It is on valleyvet.com. However I cant find that much information on it. I have 2 batches of chickens. One is a week old and the other is 8 weeks old. I did see that the vaccine should be administered on the first day of life and then again 14 days later. Is it too late to vaccine my flock? My babies are living inside and the others are out side- I have 7 total chickens. Is it worth vaccinating them with this? Do any of you have any advice on trying to keep them healthy and disease free?

I am hoping someone with knowledge of this vaccine will chime in, I didn't know there was a salmonella vaccine. @casportpony or @ronott1 has either of you ever heard of this? The first year I had my chickens I had them all tested by the state for Salmonella, it was very inexpensive, they all came back negative, so maybe you could contact your state vet's office and ask about any information they have?

My family has been very concerned about our chickens getting salmonella. We have someone in the family that is immune compromised so we want to try the best to keep our chickens heathy and disease free. I came across the Megan Vac1 Salmonella Vaccine and would like to give this to my chickens. It is on valleyvet.com. However I cant find that much information on it. I have 2 batches of chickens. One is a week old and the other is 8 weeks old. I did see that the vaccine should be administered on the first day of life and then again 14 days later. Is it too late to vaccine my flock? My babies are living inside and the others are out side- I have 7 total chickens. Is it worth vaccinating them with this? Do any of you have any advice on trying to keep them healthy and disease free?
I suspect it is too late for a vaccine to work. Testing like pozees said is the best thing to do.

Salmonella is actually rare in backyard flocks though and comes from the hatchery so you can't do anything to prevent it since they would already have it.

Follow the CDC guideline for immunocompromised people

https://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/food-..., geese, turkey,they appear healthy and clean.

I am hoping someone with knowledge of this vaccine will chime in, I didn't know there was a salmonella vaccine. @casportpony or @ronott1 has either of you ever heard of this? The first year I had my chickens I had them all tested by the state for Salmonella, it was very inexpensive, they all came back negative, so maybe you could contact your state vet's office and ask about any information they have?
Thats a really great idea thank you- I will definitely try and find out about that testing.

I suspect it is too late for a vaccine to work. Testing like pozees said is the best thing to do.

Salmonella is actually rare in backyard flocks though and comes from the hatchery so you can't do anything to prevent it since they would already have it.

Follow the CDC guideline for immunocompromised people

https://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/food-safety/live-poultry-salmonella/live-poultry-salmonella.html#:~:text=Chickens, ducks, geese, turkey,they appear healthy and clean.
Ok thank you for letting me know- I will try to do the testing and save my 40 bucks instead of ordering the vaccine.

Good luck, and please let us know if you learn anything else about the vaccine - as @ronott1 said, it's pretty rare in our home flocks, but given your particular situation you are right to be careful. Scrupulous hand washing anytime you've been around your chickens goes a long way, which I'm sure you already do.

Back
Top Bottom