Disease

Shari S

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
Found one chicken dead and a couple of other chickens seem to have had some symptoms that sounds like new castle or avian flu. The main symptoms are circling jead, stumbling, respiratory problems, diarrhea. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to find out what steps to take.

Found one chicken dead and a couple of other chickens seem to have had some symptoms that sounds like new castle or avian flu. The main symptoms are circling jead, stumbling, respiratory problems, diarrhea. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to find out what steps to take.
Leave the body cold but not frozen and see if you vet will do a necropsy (or your state lab). This will be the best way to know.

Last edited:
any swelling of the joints??? Also, where are you (with as much, or as little, specificity as you wish to offer)? If you answer India, or "the Valley", CA then Newcastle is, unfortunately, much more likely - though it was believed eliminated in CA as of early this year. In Europe, Avian Influenza is (or was, recently) pretty widespread.

What % of your flock, do you estimate, is infected? How big is your flock (so we can guess at mortality rates)? Are they cage kept? tractored? free range? How close are the neighbors? Do they have birds, and are they showing any symptoms? Do you have other avians (ducks, geese, turkey, quail), and do they appear infected?

Not to be morbid, but those things can help with disease differential diagnosis.

any swelling of the joints??? Also, where are you (with as much, or as little, specificity as you wish to offer)? If you answer India, or "the Valley", CA then Newcastle is, unfortunately, much more likely - though it was believed eliminated in CA as of early this year. In Europe, Avian Influenza is (or was, recently) pretty widespread.

What % of your flock, do you estimate, is infected? How big is your flock (so we can guess at mortality rates)? Are they cage kept? tractored? free range? How close are the neighbors? Do they have birds, and are they showing any symptoms? Do you have other avians (ducks, geese, turkey, quail), and do they appear infected?

Not to be morbid, but those things can help with disease differential diagnosis.
I live in Arkansas. I had 12 chickens and no other birds. I found 1 dead and we put 2 down because they were so bad The others seem to be ok but I did hear some rattling in one of them today. There was not any leg swelling, just swelling around the eyes and face. Their coop is in a run with no top. No on else owns chickens in the neighborhood, but our neighbor does transport chickens and sometimes parks a truck in the next lot overnight.

I also noticed there are quite a few loss feathers in the run that I thought was odd.

Back
Top Bottom