Disgusting question about the butchering process.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bearz, Oct 11, 2009.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    While I was plucking this rooster it evactuated poop. I washed it off once I noticed but do I have to toss everything now? Is it all contaminated or will washing and cooking take care of it.

Since this is my first (and probably last) time to butcher I have decided to just debone the breast and cut off the legs rather than gutting it. This is just more than I can take.

2. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    You should "fast" your birds for 12 hours (I do mine overnight) so their systems are evacuated when it comes time for processing.

3. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wash it off. You should be washing the bird anyway at seveal points to make sure that it is clean. I hose it off before placing it in the ice water with apple cider vinegar and let it sit there for awhile. I wash it off again before putting it in the fridge to set in brine. I wash it off again before putting it in the freezer (though dry it before freezing. Good luck and hang in there, it gets easier.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. bearz

May 20, 2008
    Yes, I have been washing several times. Right now it is soaking in ice water but I haven't gutted it yet. So, what you're saying is that if I just keep washing it and then cook it well (we're stewing it...not that much meat) that it should be fine?

5. bearz

May 20, 2008
    Oh, and I didn't know about scalding it when I started plucking it so it was never scalded, if that makes a difference.

I'll fast them from now on. This was an impulse kill because he has been terrorizing my hens.

I think from now on as soon as I suspect they are roos I'm just going to have my dh cull them. This is just too darn much fuss.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:Don't give up. It gets a LOT easier with practice. If you get a good scald on them they aren't all that hard to pluck, either. Fasting is a really good idea and makes things much easier, but a lot of times I don't fast mine because I don't know ahead of time that I will be butchering that day. I just wash mine off really well inside and out. We haven't died. Or even gotten sick.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    We have Roo Jail for those who are terrorizing our hens. Its always a death sentence they are held there for 24 hrs then off with their heads. [​IMG] oops did I say that?[​IMG]

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I was dreading the whole plucking idea, but my friend got the water perfect, just brought a stock pot to a hard boil, then poured it in a 5 gallon bucket. The feathers fell off as soon as we touched them. It was amazing.

I always wash my birds inside and out with dish soap and hot water after I finish butchering, before I put them in the salt water. If I spill any fecal matter, I wash that immediately with soap and hot water. Then, do the normal wash afterward. We've never had a problem. Of course, I have always washed my birds before eating. Even from the store...maybe especially from the store??? [​IMG]

Shelly

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    No, it's not wasted.

We usually go in an order.

Kill
    Scald
    Pluck
    Eviscerate
    Wash
    Rinse
    Cool
    Butcher
    Refridgerate

Both the scald and the wash involve dish soap and water. Scalding before plucking makes a world of difference. There are several wonderful sources you need to read up before butchering your next bird. It will be a totally different experience, if you know what you're doing. [​IMG]

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't feed mine for 24 hours prior to butchering. The meat will be fine, unless it was a lot of poo, ground into the meat, or it just looks gross. If it cleaned up fine, I'd say keep it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by