Disinfecting a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cjkleck, Oct 8, 2015.

1. cjkleck

cjkleck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    So we just bought a house and are getting chickens this weekend. The previous owners built a coop and had chickens. Do I need to disinfect the coop before I get my own chickens and how would you do that. I don't want to get it too wet as it will not dry fast.

2. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

What type of flooring does it have?

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! The short answer is, you can't. You should be able to clean it out and maybe scrub it with disinfectant, and spray with bleach, but unless it's smooth plastic or something similar, 'reasonably clean' is the best you can do. History about the previous flock will really help. If the property has been bird free for more than three weeks, Mycoplasma shouldn't be an issue. Marek's disease will linger for years, so if that was a problem, make sure your chicks are vaccinated, and then ISOLATED completely from the area for two to three weeks. My original coop was here when we bought the farm, but it was vacant for years, and safe. It's wood, so not very cleanable. Mary

4. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    The last bird just left yesterday finally! (We bought the house in july. Long story) all the birds were very healthy from what I know. They were god layers and active. The floor is cement and the walls are wood

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

If they also have a run...well...not too much you really can do, but start with healthy vaccinated birds and have fun.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did the old owners come get the chickens?

If they seemed healthy in the couple of months you had them, probably don't need to do anything except maybe change out the bedding.

7. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    Yes we have been at the house since the end of july. He took his sweet time moving the chickens. They did seem very healthy. I swept out the whole coop. And sprayed it with a vinegar water mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by