Disinfecting a wooden coop with lots of dried in droppings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FentonBlu, Jul 28, 2013.

1. FentonBlu

FentonBlu New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Hi

This my first thread!!1

Anyways I had 5 Wyandotte pullets last year and after about 6 weeks they died of unknown causes. I think it was avian flu. I am now getting some new hens and want to give them the best start. My wooden coop big enough for about 4 large fowl or 5 bantams has a lot of dried droppings and straw in it and I dont know how to disinfect it!!!

The hens will be here in a about 2 weeks

If anyone knows any tips that would be much appreciated

Thank you

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    first you need to get it as cleaned out as possible. get all of the hay out and dispose of it a long way from the coop. then use a putty knife and scrape all of the dried poo off. If at all possible, it would be a good idea to resurface the floor with linoleum so that it is a non-porous surface that is easier to clean in the future. If not, a sealing paint might not be a bad idea. Then you can use these methods for cleaning. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/550174/how-to-disinfect-chicken-coop

about every question you can think of has been asked and answered on there somewhere. You will find answers quicker by using search tool.

I hope you did not actually have avian flu - its not very common in the US - if you think that killed your birds, any future birds should be tested by your state agriculture dept. Many states will provide free exams of birds that died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by