Disinfecting coops...How to do it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SundownWaterfowl, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. SundownWaterfowl

    SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

    I wasnt sure where to post this, but I am wondering how people disinfect their coops.

    I was thinking of taking all of the birds out of the coop, and then taking out all bedding, etc, and spraying down the coop with a diluted bleach solution, and then letting the coop air out and dry. Does that sound good?
     
  2. Buck Creek Chickens

    Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

    4,376
    11
    231
    Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Yup, a lot of sunshine works too. I use oxine and, if I can, keep the coop empty for 24 hrs, but that's not always possible
     
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  3. SundownWaterfowl

    SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

    Now, with bleach, how should I dilute it? What are the measurements?
     
  4. Buck Creek Chickens

    Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

    4,376
    11
    231
    Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Doesn't the bottle tell you the % for a disentfectiant, I just pour, so i don't know the numbers.
     
  5. Chicken Fruit

    Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Just dilute it. Bleach isnt toxic to anything- its an irritant, in that if you are exposed to its vapors continuously or drink a large amount of it it will irritate your lungs and throat and eyes, and that irritation can some times cause swelling of said membranes- but we're talking about A LOT of exposure to kill something.

    once bleach oxidizes, or dries all thats left is a sodium compound.

    Just enough to smell it in the water is usually good. About 1/4 a cup (or a couple tablespoons) in a gallon.

    Bleach is a very under estimated cleaner, and over rated toxin.

    Just wanted to add... ask me how i know this. Go ahead. [​IMG]

    1) My brother drank a few swallows of bleach as a toddler

    2) My son also ingested quite a bit a couple times.

    lol! poison control must have me one some CPA list. [​IMG] They'd have to had drank a cup or better as toddlers to cause any harm... lol. Really it just kills the bacteria in their gut which gives them the runs.

    Theres a reason why its so tried and true, I dont know a serious farmer that cleans with anything else.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  6. byrandom

    byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

    391
    1
    131
    Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    At the veterinary office that I worked at, we used a 10% bleach solution to clean everything that was infected with Parvo or FIV, left to sit in the solution for 30 minutes.

    We used a 1 gallon bottle and used approximately 1.5 cups of bleach.
     
  7. cmom

    cmom Hilltop Farm

    16,224
    672
    396
    Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A great disinfecting solution is ¼ cup bleach to one gallon of cool water. If you don’t need that much then use 1 tablespoon of bleach to one quart of cool water. For area’s that just get more germ exposure (diaper areas, chicken coops, etc.) then stiffen up the bleach to ½ cup per one quart of water. A good soaking solution (for toys, eating utensils, food preparation tools and so forth) use 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of cool water, soak for two minutes and if time permits allow to air dry.
    I use a cup of bleach for approximately 5 gals of water.
     
  8. ZooMummzy

    ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

    Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Bleach is the best and cheapest ($3 a bottle for store brand) disinfectant. I use it everywhere in my house, even on kitchen cupboards. I have a spray bottle on every floor of my house and in every bathroom. I, too, learned to use it while working at my vet's office. We used a 10% solution on everything. I had to buy heavy duty chemical spray bottles though because it loves to eat the cheaper ones and it is rough on your hands so I suggest using gloves if you are going to be doing a lot of cleaning.
     
  9. happyhensny

    happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

    Ok, well I just cleaneed my coop yesterday. Very small, 11 birds. Got the Chickens out, shoveled everything out, emptied nest boxes and sprayed Clorox Clean-up over everything. In the corners, in the boxes. Then wiped out what I could. Their all still alive and happy so must be ok. I guess...[​IMG]
     
  10. Indiana hens

    Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    1st i spray down with water or power wash. Then I spray bleach undiluted from a pressurized yard sprayer; then rinse. Then i spray with hopital iodine wash diluted to suggested mix. lightly rinse then let dry. When close to dry I spray with goat wash permrethrins and let final dry. May seem overkill. I am happy with this.
     
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by