disinfecting eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oe bantams, Apr 17, 2009.

1. oe bantams

oe bantams Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    blue ridge mtns. of wnc
    Do you guys dip your eggs in a disinfectant before putting your eggs in your incubator.

2. I don't have an incubator, but last year when one of my hens went broody I just left the eggs alone, she hatched all six. marrie

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    NO they had a coating to help protect them , do not submerge in anything!
    if they are really dirty use a damp cloth and wipe gently

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Definitely not! I don't wash them at all. It's really best to mess with them as little as possible. The eggs have a bloom to protect them. But, dipping them in disinfectant would probably not only wash that off but contaminate your egg.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:agreed... no washy washy!!!

Some MAY develop (I highly doubt with chemicals though) but it slims your chances.

6. wingspan

wingspan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    new laid eggs have a bacterial layer that protects the eggs against other bacteria, in addition to a protective film, this is important if the hen incubates the egg itself,,,, But in an incubator, this is dangerous, when temperatures and climate make the bacteria grow uninhibited, I always wash eggs on the day it comes out of the hen,, (c vircon and hot water, max 2 minutes does not rinse eggs in water, water is not clean), I use surgeon gloves when I handle eggs

for large incubator I use hot steam 300 C (3 times the boiling Temperature) for half an hour, then spray the I with a 5% vircon c solution, I do not wash away the cleaning agent, the eggs will take no damage, wash with chlorine or peroxide is also a good solution, Incubators MUST always be washed before use,,,, bacteria and viruses grow quickly in damp and warm climate,,, bacteria walking easy through the eggshell, if scientists want to grow a virus or a bacterium, they use a incubator for this,,, Egg is a medium they infect, which nourishes the bacteria,, including Antrax are grown in an incubator,,, cleanliness is a very critical factor for a high hatch rate,, You can not see if a incubator is clean

Happy Hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by