DISINFECTING HATCHING EGGS

I'm only using my incubator for the second time but I've never had the occasion to need to wash eggs. My recommendation is to keep the nests as clean as possible and to collect them often to avoid the process of washing altogether. It's not inherently bad if you do it, but I prefer to mess with the eggs the least amount I can.

Good that you got better results than last time!

My sister took a slightly moist napkin and removed some of the mess on top of the eggs. She did not clean all of them as it was unnecessary to clean all. The ones she did clean either had egg yolk (a chicken decided to eat an adjacent egg when we caught it), chicken poop (probably from the same chicken as it was fresh, or dirt (probably from that same chicken who had decided to walk through a muddy area). We did not soak the eggs just lightly remove mess outside the shells yesterday.

I'm only using my incubator for the second time but I've never had the occasion to need to wash eggs. My recommendation is to keep the nests as clean as possible and to collect them often to avoid the process of washing altogether. It's not inherently bad if you do it, but I prefer to mess with the eggs the least amount I can.

Good that you got better results than last time!

THESE EGGS WERE IN A NEST THAT WAS EXPOSED TO RAIN. THE GUINEA THAT LAID THEM DID NOT LAY IN THE CLEAN NEST MADE FOR HER, AS A RESULT OF HER CHOOSING THIS SITE, THE EGGS WERE REALLY DIRTY. SINCE MY POSTING I HAVE RESEARCHED THIS AND HAVE FOUND IT IS NO LONGER CONSIDERED THE NORM TO NOT DISINFECT EGGS BEFORE SETTING. WITH MY OWN INCUBATION EXPERIENCE, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME IN DOING THIS AND JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT WANT THE INFO, I CAN NOT SAY THAT MY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE WOULD BE THE CASE FOR WIDESPREAD PRACTICE. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

I'm glad it worked out :)

And just a friendly word of advice, typing in capslocks is the written equivalent of yelling. Might gather more replies with lower case letters. :)

I'm glad it worked out :)

And just a friendly word of advice, typing in capslocks is the written equivalent of yelling. Might gather more replies with lower case letters. :)

I HAVE PARALYSIS IN ONE HAND AND I ALWAYS TYPE IN CAPS AS IT IS DIFFICULT TO SWITCH BACK AND FORTH AND ALSO VISION PROBLEMS AND THE LARGER IS NEEDED FOR ME. MY ADVICE> ALWAYS ASK AND GIVE PEOPLE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT BEFORE MAKING ASSUMPTIONS. MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

Last edited:
THIS SITE IS USUALLY SO NICE AS TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE REPLY BUT I DID NOT GET EVEN ONE, WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT I DID WASH AND DISINFECT SOME OF MY EGGS AS THEY WERE EXTREMELY DIRTY AND THIS WAS MY SECOND HATCH AS I AM NEW TO RAISING GUINEAS AND I GOT MY BEST HATCH RATE OUT OF THE WASHED AND DISINFECTED HATCH, JUST THOUGHT SOMEONE MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THE RESULTS. THANKS

One suggestion, this topic was posted in Hatch-A-Longs and might have been better placed in Incubating and Hatching Eggs. If you don't get a reply, it's generally because this forum has so many contributors that even if I gave up my job I don't think I could keep up on all the new threads and topics. I do, and I am sure many others do, use the "subscription" option on threads and just check in quickly, several times a day. It's only when I have a chance to sit down and read, like lunch time or late at night, that I get to see newer messages or browse into other pages I don't normally visit. It's not always personal. Give the rest of us the benefit of the doubt, too.

Thanks for sharing your results. I have washed and disinfected some eggs in a set and not others, and didn't see any difference in growth or hatch rate. But then the eggs I set aren't too dirty, so that probably makes my testing irrelevant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom