Disinfecting new but used coop

TLM72

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
We purchased new property with existing coop and I have purchased Virkon S to disinfect out of precaution. The entire inside of coop is OSB (oriented strand board) it is also insulated.

My questions are;

Has anyone sprayed Virkon on OSB?

How long did it take to dry out?

I can use a fan and/or heater to expedite drying, but I’m concerned about the seams and the possibility of it getting to any insulation.

Additionally, is it worth my time to spray it on all of the dirt within the chicken “yard”? My thought is, it couldn’t hurt…

There will be APPROXIMATELY 2 1/2-3 months between time last chickens resided there and when my flock will move there.

Getting OSB wet at all is shortening it's lifespan. OSB isn't rated for outdoor use for that reason.

Can you post pictures of the coop? It may not be so bad as to need it.
Correct, OSB is not waterproof and is prone to swelling… it’s very common for OSB in new construction to get rained on prior to a house being roofed, obviously drying it out is important. The OSB I’m referring to is not outside, only inside.

As for pictures, not sure how they would determine if I need to apply virkon, as you can’t see something like Mareks in photos.

Do you know if the previous owners had problems with disease in their flock?
How long since there were any chickens in the coop?
I do not have knowledge of health of previous flock. I’m just being cautious.

There will be approximately 2 1/2 to 3 months time between last flock being there, and my flock moving in.

Correct, OSB is not waterproof and is prone to swelling… it’s very common for OSB in new construction to get rained on prior to a house being roofed, obviously drying it out is important. The OSB I’m referring to is not outside, only inside.

As for pictures, not sure how they would determine if I need to apply virkon, as you can’t see something like Mareks in photos.

Just thinking that if it's not to grubby the previous owners were more likely diligent in keeping healthy birds.

Since it's insulated if the OSB is an inner wall and not extremely well sealed at the joints moisture would be more likely to penetrate into the wall cavity with a much longer drying time.

I am assuming it's a low pressure sprayer you would be using. If so it may not be horribly wet.

Just thinking that if it's not to grubby the previous owners were more likely diligent in keeping healthy birds.

Since it's insulated if the OSB is an inner wall and not extremely well sealed at the joints moisture would be more likely to penetrate into the wall cavity with a much longer drying time.

I am assuming it's a low pressure sprayer you would be using. If so it may not be horribly wet.
I believe the previous took good care of her birds, the coop is mostly dusty, more than anything. I’ve had people tell me they would never move their birds to a used coop and that I’m taking a huge risk. Obviously, I don’t want my birds to become ill from any diseases that I’m not aware of.

Yes, I would be using a low pressure sprayer.

I would get an n-95 mask and blow it out with a blower (battery powered---gas are outlawed in these neck of the woods). and then I would dust the whole thing with Saturday lime in the cracks and corners followed by some dg and then hemp it up and call it a day. This is probably what Airbnb between rentals justifying their $350 cleaning fees...

Back
Top Bottom