Disinfecting the Run Grounds

Hi, I realise this is an old post, but still, I thought I'd chip in.

I am also thinking about disinfecting the run ground. Reason is I recently lost several hens to something, an infection that literally killed them in days. On the one survivor I did a stool test, it showed no worms or coccidiosis, but presence of 'motile bacteria'. Which were pathogenic according to the vet,

I gave it antibiotic (metrogyl), actually I gave that to all of them, but did not work. Already before the stool test. Vet is now suggesting trying another antibiotic, but not sure yet as this hen does not have symptoms, apart from a low appetite. I don't want to screw up its immunity, but on the other hand I want it to be heathy for the reason I mention below:

My main concern is that I have three 5 week old chicks that I want to put in the run, and I don't want them to catch whatever it is that killed most of my hens...

I saw ammonia suggested earlier, would that be an idea? I used bleach in the henhouse.
The outside run is around 3x5 meters, so fairly large. I don't feel digging it out is an option, ground is hard here and would not know where to get new, clean soil.

Any other thoughts?
I had the same problem. My hens, near the end, would do figure eights with their heads. Usually dead within 3 days of onset of lethargy. Clean coop, clean grassy pasture. Dewormed. So, I experimented and did not vaxx half my babies I have raised. No losses on unvaxxed birds. My experience. All different breeds, btw.

Back
Top Bottom