Disinterested mama and I’m left with a single baby chick

Celcampbell23

Chirping
Jul 20, 2021
Davidson, North Carolina
I had a broody hen who I let sit and she ended up hatching a few chicks. I let all my chickens free range and mama was doing really well so I let them do their thing. One got taken by a hawk early on and there were 2 left for awhile. Today they’re 4.5 weeks and I noticed another one was gone. I was sad but thought it would be ok with just being mama and one chick. But I noticed her leaving the chick multiple times today and she got up on the perch tonight and after her baby would work so hard to get up there to her she would peck it down. I tried helping them get back together multiple times (even putting them both in an egg box) but it didn’t matter. She’s completely disinterested. It’s supposed to get down to 58 tonight so I went and checked on it and found it hovering in the corner alone so I brought it inside. If it were even an 8 or 9 week old chick or had a friend to hang out with I would have left it bc my flock is pretty spread out in age but this one is just too young. My question is… where do I go from here? I’ve raised my fair share of chicks and incorporated flocks multiple times as well but I’ve never had a situation where I have 1 single chick before. Plus it’s getting cold here! Any tips? I also feel guilty keeping it cooped inside because it’s used to free ranging over 3 acres. I’m at a loss!

I've raised two orphans over the years but started at day 1. For one that's aged at 4 weeks, could you perhaps put it in a pen in the yard during the day, but bring it in at night? I'm currently doing that with 5 chicks about the same age as your one.

I had a broody hen who I let sit and she ended up hatching a few chicks. I let all my chickens free range and mama was doing really well so I let them do their thing. One got taken by a hawk early on and there were 2 left for awhile. Today they’re 4.5 weeks and I noticed another one was gone. I was sad but thought it would be ok with just being mama and one chick. But I noticed her leaving the chick multiple times today and she got up on the perch tonight and after her baby would work so hard to get up there to her she would peck it down. I tried helping them get back together multiple times (even putting them both in an egg box) but it didn’t matter. She’s completely disinterested. It’s supposed to get down to 58 tonight so I went and checked on it and found it hovering in the corner alone so I brought it inside. If it were even an 8 or 9 week old chick or had a friend to hang out with I would have left it bc my flock is pretty spread out in age but this one is just too young. My question is… where do I go from here? I’ve raised my fair share of chicks and incorporated flocks multiple times as well but I’ve never had a situation where I have 1 single chick before. Plus it’s getting cold here! Any tips? I also feel guilty keeping it cooped inside because it’s used to free ranging over 3 acres. I’m at a loss!
If it's crying, our brooder is in the living room so I turn the TV on and that seems to help. I've put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in there they always like too, but at 4 weeks probably doesn't need that much warmth anymore as these 5 sure don't seem to.

Your broody is trying to "wean" her chick, and at age 4.5 weeks the chick is feathered enough to tolerate 58F just fine. I would be much more concerned about the predator that took the other chick than I would your current nighttime temperature. You can still place the chick on the roost tonight since it's now dark, and let it sleep with the flock tonight. Then get up in the morn at sunrise and monitor if the flock is tolerating the chick's presence ok. Again, I think the fact that the lone chick is very vulnerable to predators due to its age and size is a much larger concern than temperature and other flock members.

If you separate it from the flock, it will no longer be part of the flock and you will have to integrate it later on, and a lone youngster won't stand a chance. At least now the chick gets the benefit of flock acceptance and protection. Mama hen is weaning but not rejecting the chick and beating it up as an outsider. That could happen if you adopt the chick indoors for a week or more.

You'd be surprised the snuggling that goes on in a coop after dark when nobody recognises each other. Put the chick next to mama when it's dark but otherwise I'd leave it with the flock because it will be feathered enough by now. Can you pen them all up for a couple of weeks until it grows big enough to evade predators better?

Also, perhaps set up some cameras to see what is taking them.

Back
Top Bottom