Dislocated hock?

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
Hello,
I have a pullet with what I suspect is a dislocated hock. I found her laying under the feeder. She was fine last night, so I assume the injury occurred recently.

I can’t feel any broken bones. The hock is swollen, and her leg seems to dangle. She won’t put any weight on it. The best way I can think to describe it is the hock going backwards crooked, instead of straight.

She’s alert, eating and drinking. I’ll most likely keep her inside for now.

I tried to read previous threads on this, but I’m not even certain what’s going on here? Any help would be appreciated.

Does it feel like her tendon is slipped out of place?

This splinting manual may help

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
I’m unsure. How would I tell?

I just checked her leg more thoroughly while I was checking for the tendon, and I I carefully manipulate the bone right above the hock joint, I feel a clicking noise? I know that sounds weird. :lol:

Does this make a broken bone a possibility? I am confused, as I feel the hock feels like it’s going back diagonal compared to the other.

Can you take a picture so we can see how bad the injury is?
Here’s the pictures, but there’s not much to see. DD97DD38-C7FF-4864-8FA0-0AD62F23A908.jpeg ABE00F9D-8F8F-46C4-AA33-452526C6E4D8.jpeg D0CC8A3C-C35B-4826-AA5C-D3B59416ECF3.jpeg F9778310-8BED-4603-95C2-A66B58C4CACE.jpeg
She keeps it lifted to her chest, but the lower part just dangles freely. It’s not splayed to the side or anything, it just feels crooked at the hock.

Is vet care an option at all?

The only way I've ever been able to tell if a tendon is out of place it to compare to the other leg.

It dangles from the joint to the toes? The splinting manual should show you hold to stabilize it, but it's best if you can figure out if it's slipped and needs to be set before stabilizing if that makes sense.

I had a hen that had something similar, I wrapped her leg very well and left it for a week or so, checking the wrappings at least twice a day to make sure they were not too tight, she had circulation, etc. I did let her move about as she pleased, but that's me. Most would cage them to restrict movement. Anyway, after that I wrapped lightly to see if the leg was stabilizing and let her move/bend it more. After a couple of weeks, she was able to go without wrappings. A month later she was back to roosting in rafters and flying down each morning, running about o.k.
That's my experience, but it's hard to say if this would even work with your hen or she has some other issue going on. An XRay would tell you a lot more.

Is vet care an option at all?

The only way I've ever been able to tell if a tendon is out of place it to compare to the other leg.

It dangles from the joint to the toes? The splinting manual should show you hold to stabilize it, but it's best if you can figure out if it's slipped and needs to be set before stabilizing if that makes sense.

I had a hen that had something similar, I wrapped her leg very well and left it for a week or so, checking the wrappings at least twice a day to make sure they were not too tight, she had circulation, etc. I did let her move about as she pleased, but that's me. Most would cage them to restrict movement. Anyway, after that I wrapped lightly to see if the leg was stabilizing and let her move/bend it more. After a couple of weeks, she was able to go without wrappings. A month later she was back to roosting in rafters and flying down each morning, running about o.k.
That's my experience, but it's hard to say if this would even work with your hen or she has some other issue going on. An XRay would tell you a lot more.
Mostly likely not, but I’ll try my best.

It definitely feels like wrong compared to the other leg. The hock is swollen twice the size of the other, and the bone feels shifted to the side. And then there’s the matter of the clicking I felt. Would I feel that if it was dislocated.

I tried to draw an example of what I’m feeling. It’s not great, but just to demonstrate it’s crookedness. DFFB7575-8044-4FB8-9385-CFD17D0087EB.jpeg

Yeah, it just dangles.

I can try just wrapping it, but it feels pretty messed up to me. I have her in a small box, but she’s not confined. She could easily hop out, but she won’t put any pressure on the weird leg.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Poor Girl!
Sounds like it may be fractured. Seeing a vet is your best bet if you think it feels pretty messed up.
Wrapping it the wrong way could do more damage than good.
I’ll try and see if I can find a vet who sees birds in my area. Thank you again!
I’ll leave it unwrapped for now.

A little update on Ophelia:

I called around, but I couldn’t find a vet that would see chickens, and the one I had hopes for just never answered my calls. :tongue
However, she started to improve. She still won’t put full weight on it, but she uses it for support, seems to have full control of it, and continues to improve. The hock still feels different to me, but as long as she’ll be able to use it, it’s good. I don’t plan on showing her or anything.

She’s been in the house this entire time, and is quite the escape artist. 🙄 Introducing her back to the flock should be interesting.

Thank you again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom