Dislocated leg

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I went outside about an hour ago and found Lily hanging upside down by the leg on the fence. It feels dislocated and every time I push it back in it falls right out there’s not even the click of it going in joint. I don’t know how long she was upside down at least a couple hours from what my sister said.
I have her inside right now with the babies and she’s sleeping, she’s having trouble walking and if she lays on a slipper surface her foot slides out from under her. I sprayed her cut her with blue kote and put a bandaid on it. She’s so tiny I can’t figure out how to wrap her up to keep her leg in place. She’s pecking at the babies so she can’t stay in this brooder either.

Attachments

• IMG_8961.jpeg
    IMG_8961.jpeg
    893.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_8954.jpeg
    IMG_8954.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8959.jpeg
    IMG_8959.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8960.jpeg
    IMG_8960.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 22
Can I see a picture of where it's dislocated at? And a side view of her?

She’s acting fine, she’s eating chick feed, mealworms and eggs. Was pecking at the chicks just fine and was chatting with me she just can’t walk right. I can’t take her to a vet either just a checkup for a chicken is 100$ here for the only vet that can take chickens

I moved her to a kennel, she’s hobbling around but not limping half as bad as earlier. Her leg might’ve fallen asleep real bad, she was hungry for sure too. Her stomach is making noises while she’s drinking and eating.
She hobbles around a bit till she gets where she was going then plops down leaning more on her left side

Attachments

• IMG_8969.jpeg
    IMG_8969.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 22
When a chicken hangs from a foot, it takes a while for it to return to normal. It can be hours to days.

I wrap the injured area with a layer of cotton, a layer of Gauze and the cover it with s3veral layers of vet wrap. It makes a soft cast. It will hold her foot in walking position and take pressure off the injured joint. Do not wrap it tightly. Check her toes for swelling after 30 minutes and then at an hour.

She'll be awkward with the cast for a bit, but she'll adapt. It may take a day or two. Leave it on for 2 weeks, check her toes daily for signs of infection or swelling.

You're lucky, chickens die from hanging upside down too long.But she looks fine.

When a chicken hangs from a foot, it takes a while for it to return to normal. It can be hours to days.

I wrap the injured area with a layer of cotton, a layer of Gauze and the cover it with s3veral layers of vet wrap. It makes a soft cast. It will hold her foot in walking position and take pressure off the injured joint. Do not wrap it tightly. Check her toes for swelling after 30 minutes and then at an hour.

She'll be awkward with the cast for a bit, but she'll adapt. It may take a day or two. Leave it on for 2 weeks, check her toes daily for signs of infection or swelling.

You're lucky, chickens die from hanging upside down too long.But she looks fine.
She recovered fully in 5 hours. It’s been three months and looking at her you never would’ve guessed it happened.
She kept her head upright despite hanging upside down and seemed to be in shock which might’ve helped

Back
Top Bottom