Dislocated toe?

Hi KranK,

I am having the same issue with my 1 year old hen this week as well, after a few days she is no longer limping, but her dislocated toe is still crooked. I wrapped it up with vetwrap to give her more support. I also took her in for a day or two in a crate so she could stay off of it and that seemed to help. I have read several thoughts on splinting vs not splinting. Many think that it will always be crooked, so to just leave well enough alone.

hope this helps!

Hi KranK,

I am having the same issue with my 1 year old hen this week as well, after a few days she is no longer limping, but her dislocated toe is still crooked. I wrapped it up with vetwrap to give her more support. I also took her in for a day or two in a crate so she could stay off of it and that seemed to help. I have read several thoughts on splinting vs not splinting. Many think that it will always be crooked, so to just leave well enough alone.

hope this helps!
She's with other girls now. She's still limping a bit and the toe is crooked but she's better

You can always massage her foot and toe as you apply the oil/vaseline in such a way as to gently pull the toe away from the foot gently; sort of like a gentle stretching exercise. Added benefit of being able to observe her reaction to assess just how painful this toe is for her. If you've ruled out a broken toe, you can offer her one 81mg (low dose) baby aspirin for pain.

checking in on your girl... do you have the toe or foot splinted or wrapped? We just had the tropical storm isias come through here last night and many are without power (including my vet) below is his recommendation for a crooked toe should this help you.

"Yes that looks dislocated or broken. Up to you as to whether you want me to xray it and place a splint or just leave her alone. I’m sure she will be fine if we do not splint it We currently have no power at my office but hopefully on soon so I can xray."

checking in on your girl... do you have the toe or foot splinted or wrapped? We just had the tropical storm isias come through here last night and many are without power (including my vet) below is his recommendation for a crooked toe should this help you.

"Yes that looks dislocated or broken. Up to you as to whether you want me to xray it and place a splint or just leave her alone. I’m sure she will be fine if we do not splint it We currently have no power at my office but hopefully on soon so I can xray."
I left her toe alone cuz when i got some advices and thought them over i was afraid that her toe has healed (I mean the bones/muscles, she's limping a bit) and i'd make it worse. She's acting normal now (except for limping) and she even wanted to lay an egg in the cage she's been isolated!

Well, her limping got worse, its probably roo's job (which keeps trying to mate her and she doesn't want to). Still thinking about popping/rolocating the toe and then splinting it... She's isolated now.

I am in the same spot :(

hopefully the isolation will work for you- it makes my girls bully her when she gets back into the coop

good luck and keep us posted!

I am in the same spot :(

hopefully the isolation will work for you- it makes my girls bully her when she gets back into the coop

good luck and keep us posted!
Well usually she's the one that bullys other girls. When roo was young, he even felt victim to her. Everything was different only when she was broody. :jumpy :jumpy

Welp the cockorel got punished today for attacking me - got isolated for maybe an hour. The hen is getting let out while cockorel is closed with some hens on the other part of the run so he doesn't mate her. Got petrollum jelly, so gotta try helping her when her legs gets better.

Back
Top Bottom