Dislocated wing?

Update: bright comb, alert to her surroundings, talking and purring.

Poops are much more normal I’m size and texture. Color is a bit odd. Kind of a pale green most of the time with urates.

Feathers are growing in nicely. Ever since the feathers started coming in she hasn’t been able to stand. Of course this worries me. She put some weight back on and started putting so much energy into her feather growth. I’m wondering if that’s the cause of her lameness. I didn’t feel any injury to her legs and I checked her feet.

Pictures of the droppings might be helpful. Do you have pictures of the bird you could post also? How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Do her legs react at all, do her toes grasp? With leg paralysis Marek's disease has to be considered.

She last layed probably mid or late February before all this began.

I’m pretty sure she’s an Olive Egger (americana x Wellsummer? Maybe I got her from My Healthy) but am not entirely sure bc she lays a most brown egg w a yellowish tint.

She just turned 1 year old.

I am always trying to be hopeful it could be something else, but I think you’re right. I reread about Mareks again after your post.

I have been convincing myself it’s something else because a few things make it seem it COULD be something else….

I did not even think about the wing droop potentially being related to Mareks but apparently it can be. That said I do think it was a physical injury. I was too nervous to hurt her to really manipulate it when it first happened, but have checked it out more since then. I’m pretty sure the injury is to her “elbow” her shoulder joint seems fine but when I gently try to spread her wing out it’s locked up at the elbow and it feels a bit different there than on the other side.

I had her wrapped with vet tape for a few weeks and now the wing sits in the proper position but she doesn’t use it. I know for sure she has some use of her left leg. She will kick it out. I’m not really sure how to tell if they have the ability to grasp….

I thought maybe it was an injury from the wrap because by the end of the 3 weeks I would find her tipped over because she was sliding her leg through the bandage to try to take it off. That’s when I decided to remove the bandage which was about when she stopped walking as much. So for the 2-3 weeks her wing was bandaged she was standing and walking.

Poops went from classic starvation poops to this more normal size and texture poops, but with more green to them than normal. I haven’t been feeding her much in the way of greens. Besides chicken feed I have given her sunflower seed, a few pieces of tomato occationally and egg to try to keep her interested in food and put some weight back on. Before she stopped being able to walk she was putting weight on. Now she’s lost some again.

5B287EDC-25E7-4C46-8F10-782FF0F54A8F.jpeg

Further background I’m fairly certain there is Mareks in my flock. I’ve never had a necropsy done but I had a hell of a first year of chickens just past the end of year 1 I had lost 4 out of 9 chickens to what appeared to be Mareks (one died suddenly with no symptoms). Another passed from EYP. The rest were roosters. I kept one culled the rest. These were supposedly vaccinated but I got them from Feather Lover Farms not knowing any better so who knows. I ordered chicks before I was becoming suspicious it was Mareks. I probably should’ve just canceled the chicks but they were vaccinated so I figured I’d try again.

Got 9 chicks 1 ended up being a Roo. Lost one hen at around 6 months. She passed with no obvious symptoms. All the others have been going strong until now.

If I keep with this chicken journey I feel it would be wise to raise chicks from my apparently resilient rooster but ethically I struggle knowing there would probably be a lot of loss before getting to a resistent batch.

This is Wilma. She has a chip in her beak you can kind of see in the pic but she is not cross beaked. Poor girl. I’m starting to think I should humanely cull. I hate doing that but have told myself when they stop eating on their own it’s time (after a few days to recover from stress and whatnot) she is still eating though just not enough.

Another pic included of the area she was pecked that has healed and is refeathering.

27832FAB-9783-4EF1-BF00-08FC9B839872.jpeg C6B2CEA3-5B73-4AEF-BDA2-E98D1C2F40E5.jpeg

TLDR: you’re probably right that it’s Mareks

Last edited:
Ok I just checked on her again to see what up with her legs. She can move both of them they just don’t support her weight.

I have her on electrolytes/probiotic occationally. She seems to really like it. Then I’ll give her just water for a few days. I guess for the hell of it I should get her on poultry cell. I’ve never had an unwell chicken drink it from their water very consistently and it’s my understanding you shouldn’t really let it sit for more than a day before replacing and it seems like a wast. I have done the direct dose before and she was getting it when the wing issue first started but I stopped giving it bc she is more resistent than many to taking the syringe and she doesn’t have much wattle to pull her mouth open with but I suppose I should put the work in before giving up and see if it help.

The droppings look pretty normal, I don't think that color is a huge worry. I see that color sometimes in mine with no apparent health problems. Age could be a factor, and sometimes a reproductive problem can cause nerve issues if something is putting pressure on them, which is why I asked her age and if you know when she last laid. If you put a finger under her foot and push up, see if her toes curl around the finger, or she tries at all to grasp. Vitamins won't hurt, and sometimes help. The easiest way to get them in is a B complex or super B complex tablet or capsule (human ones, any pharmacy should have them, brand isn't important). Just put in her beak and push back a little, she'll swallow it fine. Then you aren't mixing things in water or food and maybe putting her off it if she doesn't like it. The B's are the most common deficiency that can cause leg issues. I've had birds during molt that aren't eating well that show balance issues, weakness, or walking like they are drunk, and the B's often are the issue. Extra will be excreted, so no worries of too much.
If, in the end, she doesn't get better and you decide to cull, or if she passes, I would recommend you get her necropsied. That way you will know for sure. I will attach a couple of articles on vitamin deficiencies that might be helpful, and resources for necropsy by state, you can call your nearest for particulars if it looks like that may be coming. It's very reasonable in many states, and if you are close enough you may be able to drop off rather than have to ship. There are so many things that can have similar symptoms in them that necropsy is the best way to know for sure.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/vitamin-deficiencies-poultry-rakesh-kumar
https://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

The droppings look pretty normal, I don't think that color is a huge worry. I see that color sometimes in mine with no apparent health problems. Age could be a factor, and sometimes a reproductive problem can cause nerve issues if something is putting pressure on them, which is why I asked her age and if you know when she last laid. If you put a finger under her foot and push up, see if her toes curl around the finger, or she tries at all to grasp. Vitamins won't hurt, and sometimes help. The easiest way to get them in is a B complex or super B complex tablet or capsule (human ones, any pharmacy should have them, brand isn't important). Just put in her beak and push back a little, she'll swallow it fine. Then you aren't mixing things in water or food and maybe putting her off it if she doesn't like it. The B's are the most common deficiency that can cause leg issues. I've had birds during molt that aren't eating well that show balance issues, weakness, or walking like they are drunk, and the B's often are the issue. Extra will be excreted, so no worries of too much.
If, in the end, she doesn't get better and you decide to cull, or if she passes, I would recommend you get her necropsied. That way you will know for sure. I will attach a couple of articles on vitamin deficiencies that might be helpful, and resources for necropsy by state, you can call your nearest for particulars if it looks like that may be coming. It's very reasonable in many states, and if you are close enough you may be able to drop off rather than have to ship. There are so many things that can have similar symptoms in them that necropsy is the best way to know for sure.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/vitamin-deficiencies-poultry-rakesh-kumar
https://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
I think I have B Complex and am familiar with giving them pills. I find it easier than forcing liquids. I’ll give it a go. Last time I was giving B vitamins I think I did a half pill. Is that was you do?

She’s pushing out a lot of new feathers right now which was why I thought it was possible it could not be Mareks…

I’m not close to anywhere but the border of Wyoming 😂 I will definitely have to ship. If I can find somewhere in the $100 range I will. My vet was gonna charge like $250 plus. But everything is absurd with them. I’ve taken a few chickens to the vet and paid the high prices and every time they’ve died anyways. Nothing against the vets chickens are hard and they specialize in dogs and cats around here.

I think I have B Complex and am familiar with giving them pills. I find it easier than forcing liquids. I’ll give it a go. Last time I was giving B vitamins I think I did a half pill. Is that was you do?

She’s pushing out a lot of new feathers right now which was why I thought it was possible it could not be Mareks…

I’m not close to anywhere but the border of Wyoming 😂 I will definitely have to ship. If I can find somewhere in the $100 range I will. My vet was gonna charge like $250 plus. But everything is absurd with them. I’ve taken a few chickens to the vet and paid the high prices and every time they’ve died anyways. Nothing against the vets chickens are hard and they specialize in dogs and cats around here.
Sorry I am spamming but I pushed on the pads and the knees bent then the toes came down. The right leg which seems to be the worse off leg as she always seems to tip to the bad wing side did not bend as freely or fully as the other leg. I actually think it might be a little swollen at the joint there. Tendons in the back felt in their proper place.

I just give them the whole pill, you aren't going to overdose on those. If it's a deficiency then it often takes pretty high amounts to get it reversed, then they are able to maintain it after that. Fingers crossed, it helps.
You might want to try putting her in a sling for periods during the day, take the pressure off her legs, have them in a more normal position, see if that helps also. Hard to know if the swelling is from pressure, or another symptom. Do supervise while in the sling, so she doesn't hurt herself trying to get out of it. Some examples below.
Looks like your labs are in Laramie, they should be able to give you cost and shipping instructions over the phone.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

5d900e5646be3ce5eb1e6f1645a6ed14.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4.jpg

I just give them the whole pill, you aren't going to overdose on those. If it's a deficiency then it often takes pretty high amounts to get it reversed, then they are able to maintain it after that. Fingers crossed, it helps.
You might want to try putting her in a sling for periods during the day, take the pressure off her legs, have them in a more normal position, see if that helps also. Hard to know if the swelling is from pressure, or another symptom. Do supervise while in the sling, so she doesn't hurt herself trying to get out of it. Some examples below.
Looks like your labs are in Laramie, they should be able to give you cost and shipping instructions over the phone.
View attachment 3789884
View attachment 3789885
View attachment 3789886
View attachment 3789887
I live in Colorado but yeah Laramie is probably slightly closer than Denver or Fort Collin where I imagine labs are for Colorado.

I have thought about the sling. I can’t maybe try to rig something up.

Nothing good to report. She remains alive but with no improvement in leg function. I have been giving her B vitamins every day.

When I give her epsom salt baths her legs twitch when I take her out but she cannot hold her weight.

Despite regaining weight at points during the time I’ve been trying to treat her she is back to very skinny. Her comb is not as red and she is not as alert as she was a few weeks ago. I take her out to see the flock and be outside on days when it is warm and sunny. She does seem more alert outside.

I think it is her time. While I have dispatched chickens before (once for a ill rooster when it seemed like no hope for recovery (same issue lack of function in his legs) and once for an A-hole rooster I have never dispatched a hen. It is so much harder. She is no longer very interested in eating. I have been making a mash and feeding that to her torpedo style. My feeling with caring for sick chickens is if they lose interest in eating for more the. A day or two it is probably time to let them go.

Thanks for the advice. I will sit with this for a moment and hopefully be able to do what needs done soon.

Back
Top Bottom