Dislocation vs fracture

miles2go480

Songster
May 29, 2021
I have a hen who hurt her leg in a fall from top rung of the roost about 3 months ago. She never acted like it hurt her except when I tried stretching her leg out to feel for a fracture. Then she just draws it back with a strong determined pull against my tug. Attached a video the show how she gets around. She still sleeps at the top and is the last off in the morning. She runs around as well as walks with purpose. If dislocated I would love a suggestion on relocating the joint.

Last edited:
A vet would be able to perform an Xray.

To be honest at this point, 3 months later, if she's mobile and moving about o.k., getting to food/water and not being picked on, then I'd just leave it alone.
I am leaning that way. She seems fine hopping along.

My young rooster hurt a young hen yesterday. I think the "knee" is dislocated. She isn't putting any weight on it at all and when I pick her up her ankle ? down just flops :*( Will take her to the vet and get an xray to see what the situation is. I think it is dislocated so hopefully he can get it back in socket. If broken, I will try to treat her. She's just been laying 4 months. Darn horny boys!

Well, her leg is broken up on the upper leg and also her "ankle" Darn rooster! She is only 9 months old. I am going to try to save her but it sure has been a pain in the rear so far.
broken leg.jpg
broken leg 2.jpg

I had to put her down. She was able to get out of her sling and dislocate her hip too. She wasn't eating and seemed to be in a lot of pain. I hate this part of raising animals. She was so tame and only 9 months old. 😭

Bless you for having to go through that. I know what you mean. I have had a couple I had to put down and it broke my heart. Who knew chicken love was real?

So sorry for your loss. Chickens do not do well when the upper leg is broken. It is hard to splint them, and with having a broken ankle, it would be hard to get it healed. A vet could possibly pin or insert screws in the bones, but the price would be outrageous, not to mention, that it might not heal. One thing about being able to see the damage in the xray, you knew how much damage there was.

Back
Top Bottom