dispatching a coon

Quote:
Drowning is quicker than when a coon grabs a chicken thru the wire------- holding it against the wire-------- tearing peices of the LIVE chicken apart as it eats the chicken live------- while the chicken screams in pain and panic---- as the coon ripes more of the bird thru the wire--------biting, scrathing and clawing at the bird trying to get away--------- until the coon finally has riped the bird apart enough that it dies or goes into shock........... ya drowning is a fast and easy way to dispatch a coon compared to the birds it will kill.

Thank you---AHappychick for not being stupid and releasing it into someone elses yard to ripe apart some kids pet birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in a downtown neighborhood, and I caught 5 coons this summer. They'd gotten some of my birds through the wire cage - very gruesome and tore up my coop to boot - those things are crazy strong. There is a law here against discharging a firearm in town, but I have found that one or two pops from a .22 pistol has never attracted any attention, and I think it's the quickest, most humane way to dispatch them. I always feel bad, too - I don't like killing things, and I don't think I could drown one. You're doing what you think is best to protect your flock even though it's unpleasant - it's all part of keeping animals responsibly.

One day my friends were shooting an air rifle at a big target (bulls eye thing) in my yerd. Now my yard is pretty big, easily 3/4 of an acre. Well my neighbor took about 10 minutes before he came and complained and reminded me that where we live even air rifles were illegal. It is just not worth the risk, if I get carted away and am arrested. Even if I was let off later, my FIL and MIL would use it against me and make my life even worse. You should have seen the damage they did with the news article about me having a farm stand on my property this past summer.

One ay soon I will move to the country and then I promise I will use my guns if needed and never drown anything again.

Last edited:
Quote:
I find it ironic that you caused your own pain. The situation was avoidable even if you'd rather not see it as such.

sure it was avoidable, I could have turned a blind eye to the brazen problem that was lurking at my back door (literally) just the same way many people turn a blind eye on all nasty problems that have no EASY solution or cause them discomfort in some way. I would rather feel like crap today then feel worse later knowing I could have done something but did not because it would have been unpleasant to me.

hugs.gif
We shot three coons a little while ago, and I felt cruddy for a while as well. They still look so cute to me, even after eating one of my chickens.

Sweetie, sometimes we all have to do these things, and your not supposed to ever feel good about it. BUT it is a neccesary evil, and I can think of a lot worse ways to kill it then drowning. Try not to take the criticism to heart, we can't save every critter. We have had to do away with attack dogs, hurt goats and possums. Sometimes, this farming thing sucks, but it is what it is. Say a prayer for the critter and just go forward.

Just go out and hold your chickens, and think about if this one got killed, or that one got killed. You WILL make yourself feel better. I'm glad you didn't just dump it off somewhere.

Quote:
I know how you feel.
sad.png
Over the last couple of weeks I have had to "kill" two rats. They were caught by the tail. I know that some here would consider me a sissy. However, it is not in my nature to "kill". Having said that, I have stood up to berserk, Great Danes, Newfunlands (sp?) , and scrambled German Shepards. I am no pansy. I am just not sure what else to do.
idunno.gif

I don't mind coons and other critters as long as they're not bothering me or my own. I'm lucky to live in an area where a quick and merciful death by gun is allowed if needed. I hate the thought of an animal drowning, but I certainly won't judge someone who felt it was the only way to dispose of a danger to their own animals. I've heard some people take joy in killing a creature like a raccoon, and that bothers me a lot (that someone gets a "high" from taking a life). But that's certainly not you; that it bothers you that you felt you had to do this says that you're a person who cares for creatures...

Back
Top Bottom