Dispelling Pea Myths

The predators will go after them the same as any other farm bird like chickens or ducks, but most of the problem happens at night. If you raise them yourself in a barn or other enclosure and let them out slowly, there's a very good chance that they'll know (and want) to come back in to it in the evening. This is especially true if this is where you feed them. We have had hawks come and sit right up on top of our enclosure before in broad daylight, and the peas all gather together and alarm when it happens.

They can be loud, but for us, with just a few, it's been in bursts and it is only during the summer. With the way the trees and fields are around us, I think you can barely hear ours from the end of our road, but you can certainly hear them while in the house. Obnoxious is a relative term... I personally enjoy the noises they make, and find the chicken rooster crow to be much more annoying.

But what I really came here to say, is that if you want them sociable, raise them from young or hatch them if you can. They'll get less sociable as they age, but may still follow you and want to visit with you occasionally. My favorite peahen, Osiris, still believes that everything I do is her business, and that any time I visit it MUST be because I'm bringing her treats (and she's usually right >.> even if the treat is just hand feeding her the normal food they get! It tastes better from mom's fingers).

Osiris, my 'baby' girl
Blu, my baby boy post surgery
Osiris, coming when called
Osiris visiting my bf- she doesn't just accept attention... she actively seeks it!

And Osiris' one trick... Jumping up!

Back
Top Bottom