Turkeys, Goats, Donkey...Flock Guardians?

Donkeys are great for stomping on things. I had an acquaintance that lost several of their own ducks to their donkey, so... :(
Mine killed one of my muscovy drakes. They also will go after my dogs, and I've seen them chase the cats. We have them on the game camera chasing the fox, but it didn't stop the fox from grabbing his dinner.

When I moved here Jan. 2006, I was going through chemo again, it was rough, so I was home a lot. I'd look outside that 1st winter here, I'd see the wild critters & I learned their routines. The flock of 20 buzzards held their morning meetings in the front, 2 leaders standing on posts, the rest on the ground, all spreading wings to greet the morning sun's warmth. The deer followed their typical path, from one batch of trees to the next, grazing the corn field on the way. The male fox would trot by on his path, same route daily, same times like clockwork, 10am, 1pm, 4pm or just before dusk. Sometimes he'd stop, sniffing around, or sit down & look around.
There were times all buzzards, deer & fox could've all been in 1 lovely photo...if only I'd had the darn camera ready.

There was a spot in my back yard by the cornfield, the grass was always cushy there, Foxy would lay down & bask in the sunshine, often his mate joined him, sometimes they'd nap. Whenever I went out the back door, he'd sit up & watch me, like a dog expecting a treat. I later found out that the people who lived here previously, sometimes put food out there. I guess the foxes never forgot. There are tons of wild berries there as well, so I only pick the high ones in summer, leaving the low ones for them. When the foxes have their kits, every Spring, they roll around playing on that patch of grass. When I was ill, it was like watching the nature Discover channel outside my window. I always loved wildlife, enjoyed sketching, as where I lived as a teen was also full of farmland, protected woods & wildlife.

Anyway, when a person is fighting cancer repeatedly, the prognosis isn't so great, therefore, the appreciation of the little things in life can become very dear. I've been blessed to have close encounters, always calm & peaceful, with Deer, Crows, Buzzards, Gold Finches, Robins, Turkeys, Geese, Ducks, Hawks, Eagles, occasional Falcons, Raccoons, Opossums, Turtles, Toads, Snakes, Lizards, even swam with a Sea Turtle, a mama Whale & her calf & Hammerheads...not that I went looking for any of them, they just showed up & we hung out a bit...just glad they weren't hungry or thinking of me as an appetizer. It's interesting, when you talk to them, they look you in the eye, tilt their head & seem to listen...perhaps they're so used to jackasses screaming at them, that kind words or just my tone of voice may calm them.

The foxes, when they raise their kits, sometimes there are 2 or 3 adult pairs with their kits, about 20 to 24, who gather for Spring family reunions, on that nice patch of grass. They hang for about a week, then they venture off, going to their own territories I guess. There's always 1 pair that will stay here, they have 2 dens at all times, in the 80 acre corn field next to my 2 acre parcel. I can't say if it's the same pair all these years, or their descendants taking over, but they are quite at home & I believe they think they are dogs, or perhaps learned by watching dogs.

I know the dangers of rabies, but fortunately that's been very rare in this neck of the woods.
There's been a sort of synergy here, I can't explain it, I know it may not last & could change at any given moment as wildlife is wild after all, but I cherish it while it lasts. The consistent wildlife residents here have their routines, but the migratory hawks & falcons, they are the ones to fear, because they show up hungry & fierce, not caring about routines or balance. It's pretty crazy to see several different types of hawks show up in 1 day, and the resident hawks & crows go nuts screeching & dive bombing them. That's why I'm worried about letting the Guineas free range & every April when Pigeon flying season begins. I realize there's not much I can do about aerial attacks, but often dive bombing happens at the most vulnerable time & spot...the Guinea or Pigeon trying to land & scoot inside the loft to safety, that's where 99% of attacks occur. Me running, yelling & waving a broom has distracted & saved many pigeons, but I can't be here 24/7.

I just saw a Great Pyrenees mix puppy yesterday at the store...what a soft precious puppy. It's been awhile since I had dogs, breaks your heart when they pass. I'm thinking a dog might be joining my family. Doing the research now. Well, I'm pretty sure my sweetheart would rather fence the property than build coop #4 😆.

Look at this little guy! ❤️

View attachment 3401822View attachment 3401823
What a beautiful post! Your words touched me. Fighting cancer is frightening, you found peace in nature during your recovery and that is healing in itself.🤗

Have you considered a German Shepherd from PROVEN working lines as a LGD?

Less likely to attempt to expand its territory like a GP will do and very easy to train. GSD requires less grooming, less food and less room in your house should you prefer to have the dog inside with you at night.

A GP takes up ALOT of room in the room🤣...says the woman living with 5 dogs in the house🤭

Happy healing and hoping to see posts of your new puppy.

What a beautiful post! Your words touched me. Fighting cancer is frightening, you found peace in nature during your recovery and that is healing in itself.🤗

Have you considered a German Shepherd from PROVEN working lines as a LGD?

Less likely to attempt to expand its territory like a GP will do and very easy to train. GSD requires less grooming, less food and less room in your house should you prefer to have the dog inside with you at night.

A GP takes up ALOT of room in the room🤣...says the woman living with 5 dogs in the house🤭

Happy healing and hoping to see posts of your new puppy.
No pups...yet anyway. But 2 females foxes have their kits so it's been fun watching them. I let my flock out when I am there, so far so good. Still have Geese & Rabbits, always do, I guess the foxes eat other places? Just grateful for the balance.

20230508_185600.jpg

20230508_185603.jpg
20230504_185114.jpg
20230427_165037.jpg

Attachments

• 20230516_105703.jpg
    20230516_105703.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom