Jesus is my life
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all!

I just went out to find one of my favorite hens sprawled out on the coop floor. Her legs were stretched out directly behind her. She couldn't stand when I first picked her up. When I brought her inside I propped her up on her feet. It's almost like her legs are props that are holding her body. She can't move them but they support her enough so she can stand. Her comb is kind of purple and a bit droopy. She has made a few sounds. Now as I look over at her, she is trying to move a bit so she is getting better already.

But what could this be? How should I help her? Should I keep her standing up to keep the blood flowing or lay her down in a position as she would be in a nest box?

Thanks for any help!
smile.png

Well here this is what I do in emergencies:
1. Seperated her immediately if she is sick not injured you don't want it spreading & she could get further injuries from being picked on.
2.Keep her in a warm(preferably with a small lamp) & draft free place.
3. Make sure she has water & food beside her constantly make it very easy to get to.
4.Watch her carefully breathing,movement,physical appearance,etc.
6.Lets see what happens.

Well here this is what I do in emergencies:
1. Seperated her immediately if she is sick not injured you don't want it spreading & she could get further injuries from being picked on.
2.Keep her in a warm(preferably with a small lamp) & draft free place.
3. Make sure she has water & food beside her constantly make it very easy to get to.
4.Watch her carefully breathing,movement,physical appearance,etc.
6.Lets see what happens.

Thanks! I have separated her and put her in a warm area. She has been drinking and her breathing is fine. She also is standing better.

And also be sure to wash up in between handling her and the others!!!

You've already gotten the best advice possible so far.

Can you post any pictures???

Oh and I would also immediately go out and bleach the feeders and waterers she has had access to.

Last edited:
Well I mean of her legs. If we could see what her posture is like, someone may have had similar experience with their chicken(s) and be able to chime in
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom