Distance of coop from house?

thegoogers

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Cleveland, TN
Just curious. How far away is your coop from your home? Do you have any smelly problems?

We are building our coop this weekend and wanted some input.

Thanks!

Well, We have a chicken tractor that is right by my window, probably 3 ft away. It doesn't stink, I scrub it out about once a week. I'm building my realy coop about 20 foot from the house, so that I dont' hear their conversations, but can keep an eye on them.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
I move my coop and chicken yard about every 3 months approx. I use FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE)in my coop in their run and where they like to dust bath. In their coop I sprinkle DE on the pine shavings. Also my roosts in my coop are over wire which allows the poop through and I sprinkle the DE over the poop too. The pine shavings are on the floor in the rest of the coop. Monthly I add some shavings and weekly I add DE. I clean my coop once a year. Once in awhile I throw some scratch on the shaving with the DE and let the chickens mix it up. They so a very good job. I have no problems with flies, stink and such. My pine shavings stay nice and dry easy to clean out. I put them in my compost pile. which every once in awhile I give a toss to keep it mixed up with the other stuff that goes in. sprinkle with water and let it cook. I grow so much produce that I give most of it away or the chickens get it. My soil is low in acid so I think the pine shavings and poop are good for my soil. I store my DE in 5-gal buckets with lids.
jumpy.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:
Ours is 50 feet from the house, totally insulated and enclosed (with 2 large windows) and no smell-- even IN the coop... I believe the deep layering with added D.E. and good venting is why...

Now the box of chicks in my daughters room is a whole other issue-- keeping it dry is a problem (They swing on the waterer and dump it daily) and THAT causes bad odors.... and has to be cleaned 4-5x a week... they are going to the coop tomorrow or Saturday-- then there will be only the 2 "special babies" in the house...much less mess/odor!

Mine is about 5 feet from the house. There is no odor from it...the only odor is because they come onto the back porch and poop right by the back door.
he.gif

I just sweep it up when it's dry...or hose the porch off.

Thanks so much for all the input!! I will be looking into DE
big_smile.png
Once a year sounds FANTASTIC!
wink.png

taciturnity: sounds like something that would happen to me HA!

Mine was 150 feet from the house for the summer (parked in the shade). Now it's 75 feet from the house and still no odor.

Back
Top Bottom