Distant, Sick looking chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jakrzz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Hey folks, I came home from church today to discover that my white leghorn was acting a little strange.. She was and is still laying down in a corner of the coop with her eyes shut, tail down, and looking really depressed! I didn't get an egg from her today that I know of... So what is the deal! I know It sounds like she's just sleeping but I really think something is wrong right now :(
    She was fine this morning, eating drink but now she's all weird looking. I wish I could put a pic but I don't know how...
    She's not puffy or anything so u DONT think she's egg bound..
    PLEASE HELP. She's one of my favorite chickens and I don't want to lose her

2. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I don't know where you are located, but the heat could definitely be a factor. I have two girls that seem to be more susceptible to the heat than the others. I add electrolytes to the water and on rare occasions have brought them inside for a little while to cool off. You can also put out bottles of water that you have frozen or ice in plastic bags. Surprisingly the chickens will lay on them or next to them to cool off. Good luck, I hope it is nothing more serious.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would isolate her in a cage so that I could make sure of her eating, drinking and color/consistency of bowel movements. You need to check her over thoroughly--her crop, her vent, note any lice or mites, and facial or eye swelling, bubbles in the eye, or nasal drainage. Is she thinner than usual?

4. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Well it's only about 75• or so here in central NH and it's pretty cloudy out. I just filled up their poultry nipple waterers with ice cold water.. Idk if that'll help..
    But ill take you up on your suggestion and ill put her In a large dog crate in my basement, it's cool down there. I got some electrolytes too so I might as well try that out.
    Thank you and ill keep things updated!

5. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    So I put her in the crate with some food and water with electrolytes in it..
    She's just kinda standing there... Looking into the distance, spacing out. Hopefully she'll get better, maybe she's just exhausted or something

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by