Distended abdomen. Trouble diagnosing.

Not exactly sure what is wrong w/Ms. Purity? I thought her to be eggbound, but now not sure. Seems to just be lethargic & lagging behind everyone else. Has been having issues getting into coop. (ramp 6" & deck under ramp & door 20"?) Past 3 nites found under coop (enclosed, dry/warm area, out of weather).
Front of comb has lost a bit of color. Her appetite is great, if it's something she likes. Waddles very slowly w/tail tucked. Stands and walks w/head and tail down. Does a lot of sitting. Believe to be reason for dirty bottom.
Her and 2 other hens have not laid since late July. Were coming out of molt, when a 6' rat snake decided to get into coop w/them. 2 nd nite, a neighbor came over & we (he mostly) wrangled it out of coop.
Goldie, one of the other chickens started laying early Mar. Not normal laying, but weather keeps fluctuating. Ebony & Ms. Purtty ~ nothing.

Attachments

• 20240402_181525.jpg
    20240402_181525.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240402_181654.jpg
    20240402_181654.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 2
Pix are how she moves around. Bringing her in tomorrow morn for another 'BootyBath'. (makes me feel as though I'm 'offending' her, due to the thorough cleaning she gets) 😬

Honestly, I'd have to take them to vet. I get too attached & just cannot bring myself to do it. Have a neighbor, more of an acquaintance, rather than friend. Told me, "It's just a darn chicken. Just snatch them up by the neck and jerk like slingling a bag of potatoes (snapping neck). Then dip in hot water to help remove feathers. Then you could be having fried chicken for dinner."
Just never knew there would be so many issues/problems to deal with having chickens?!! Hubby likes the eggs, or we wouldn't have chickens. They're more my pets than anything.
My moto: 0nce I name it, I cannot eat it!

Back
Top Bottom