Distended abdomen. Trouble diagnosing.

I think it might be too far gone for baytril, the bird is pretty weak.
i understand this .. baytril can be do strong but can be life saver i tried it in severe conditions but ofcourse she is not feeling good give her time in her age its very commone to caught these infections:(

water belly is a case of Ecoli infection in the progressive stage , poop in yellowing tone also gives hints of ecoli
baytril must be helpful but i take notes from @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Debbie292d
Although I appreciate the advice, Mabel is no longer with us. She's no longer suffering. Thank you everyone.

She sleeps almost constantly now, and her abdomen has continued to grow. We can see a dark colored tint through the stretched skin (Possibly unpassed bms?)
I'm sorry to hear about Mabel :hugs

Always a hard decision to make.

Just noting, you were starting to see dark colored tint through her stretched skin of the abdomen. Without necropsy, it would be hard to know, but not likely unpassed bms. More likely a bit of blood pooling from inactivity or infection.
The exudes you were pulling out of her abdomen does tell that whatever was going on was quite advanced, likely Salpingitis, but could have been EYP or Internal Laying (or combination). When exudes like that are in the abdomen, they have nowhere to go and they do not dry up nor can antibiotics get rid of them. An antibiotic may help temporarily give relief and comfort for a short period of time if intervention is given early on but sadly and ultimately a hen will still succumb to the condition.

Although I appreciate the advice, Mabel is no longer with us. She's no longer suffering. Thank you everyone.
I am so sorry. Sometimes we can do everything right for our birds and it just isn't enough as it's not meant to be. She felt your love through it all, and that's what mattered to her. ❤️

I’m so sorry for you loss. I had a girl pass from reproductive (pretty sure EYP). She lived for almost 5 years, but it was brutal seeing her go downhill. She passed in my arms and I swore never again. It’s so hard making that call, but they know we love them so much. She was a beautiful chicky poo’

It’s hard to let go of a beloved pet. Prayers for your family. GOD’s blessings to you and yours, for peace and understanding.
Afraid I’m in possibly same situation, feeling helpless, as no real avian vets (affordable) here locally either. Although our pet vet (dog/cat) will euthanize our chickens, if requested.

It’s hard to let go of a beloved pet. Prayers for your family. GOD’s blessings to you and yours, for peace and understanding.
Afraid I’m in possibly same situation, feeling helpless, as no real avian vets (affordable) here locally either. Although our pet vet (dog/cat) will euthanize our chickens, if requested.
Sorry to hear that. Does your bird have the same symptoms Mabel did? I'm pretty sure when she was having her go of it I went through every single thread on this website trying to find answers. Helpless is the perfect descriptor.

Picking this thread up after reviving by Georgia Chickens.
Sorry for both of you. And a belated sorry for your loss Kittyvamp.

I have experienced something similar a few years ago with a hen who was laying eggs without a shell from time to time. I think one got wrong at the end and infected her.
First I was looking for information to cure her. And when I read it was not an option to cure her, I searched for information to euthanise her humanely by putting her to sleep. But she died two days after noticing and before I could find a good method. I don’t think she has suffered much. She only let me know she was in pain the moment I picked her up.

PS: The link is to at thread about euthanasia. A goed method on page 4.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-euthanize-a-chicken-humanely.1561319/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom