Distractions for Noisy Hens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, Dec 4, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have several hens living in a large coop out back. They are not able to free range much because we have hawks constantly on patrol. The hawks will try to scoop a hen up with us standing right next to them. I give the girls treats at least once a day like spinach or some sort of fruit. They are always very happy to get the treats. But when I'm not giving them treats they will scream at me the second I walk outside! They are VERY noisy hens, especially the alpha RIR. They just started laying at 8 months and I'm worried they're probably bawking up a storm after they lay (I haven't been home to hear them lay). Are there any distractions I can put in their run?? I feel like the reason they make so much noise is that they're bored and want out of their run. Any thoughts would be great! By the way - I don't mind the noise - but my cranky neighbor might.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Give them a pile of leaves or straw to scratch at and then hang a cabbage from a piece of string for them to peck at. Not sure if it will keep them quiet though. I know my ducks, despite lots of play area, a pool, greens to nibble, etc... ALWAYS raise a ruckus when I go outside. I would like to think they are happy to see me, but more likely they are just demanding more treats [​IMG]

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Mine are always loud especially whenever I come outside... I think they just want attention and to be let out of the coop. I have a similar problem with hawks... luckily they havent been bad lately... can you build a larger run or something like that??

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I throw scratch seed 3 times a day and give them a fresh flake
    of hay every week, they love to scratch and will stay busy.
    I give mine an apple every 3rd day or so.

5. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    How do you give then the apple? Loose on the ground? Hanging? Peeled?

6. Peepin out of the egg

Peepin out of the egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Canada
    how about a pumpkin?They love pumpkins!

7. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Wow, my hens are so quiet, you wouldn't even know they're there.

I'd definitely give them things to keep them busy, which for chickens means eating and scratching. If they have enough to do during the day, you'll just be one more thing when they see you.

Also, do they have a place to make a dust bath?

8. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Get a large partially rotten log or tree stump, and put it into the run. There are HOURS of fun in a well-decaying log, scratching away at the rotten wood and uncovering all sorts of insects, nests, and insect eggs!

I put one into my girls' run several months ago when they were a lot smaller and I was more worried predator birds would get them. The silence was golden; all they did was scurry around, grunting softly. They were completely preoccupied. Every day or two, I would rotate the stump, to reveal more hidden goodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by