Distress peeping on day one—everything seems fine when I check

How are they doing this morning?
Now that you ask . . .
Day 2: Flock is thriving. I changed out the puppy pads (fulla poop) this afternoon and replaced with wide wood chips (same as brooder no. 1 that is going.) I ordered some hemp this morning, looking forward to replacing the wood chips with it.

My lil bitty runt does not look so good now and this time I do NOT think he/she is sleeping. The others are walking over her (literally) and she/it is just laying there. :th Not meanting to sound cruel but if she is going to ahem transition I hope it is before tomorrow. I have a 48 hour window for refunds. One was DOA and now this one looks not so hot.

The two brooders are next to each other. It is so funny watching the "big" girls (as in 5 weeks old) trying to see what they are hearing next door.

Thank you for inquiring @AmeraucanaHank :D.

Wonder if THIS is the original one that was peeping. Some look alike; I have no clue. Found her dead five minutes ago. Wonder what breed she/he is from my hatch (welsummer, maran, dixie rainbow). I suspect Dixie.

Will notify Hoover as it is less than 48 hours since I picked them up.

Attachments

• 20220807_185926.jpg
    20220807_185926.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 3
Wonder if THIS is the original one that was peeping. Some look alike; I have no clue. Found her dead five minutes ago. Wonder what breed she/he is from my hatch (welsummer, maran, dixie rainbow). I suspect Dixie.

Will notify Hoover as it is less than 48 hours since I picked them up.
Sorry she died, poor thing.

Do you have Nutri-Drench around? That stuff is pretty amazing. I'm pretty sure it has saved a couple of my birds' lives, so I always keep a bottle on hand. A lot of people give chicks a drop or two from the end of a q-tip along the chicks' beak the first day or two. That bit of energy can be very helpful for them, it seems.

General question for everyone again: While most of the birds have settled, one of the Buckeye chicks is just cheep, cheep, cheep no matter what she is doing: eating, drinking, preening, running beneath the heat plate, sitting in my lap (where this morning she a) ate from my hand b) fell asleep and b) pooped on my hand...though the poop did look healthy, at least...!).

She does not smell bad, her rump is not pasty, she is eating (including some of the Water & Nutri-Drench mash I made this morning--just a couple of tablespoons' worth for all, but they loved it!) and drinking. She *is* quite small, the runt of this group, but feathers are beginning to come in (always amazes me, they're only five days old...!). When I do go out there I try to pick her up and give her food from my hand in case she is so small she has trouble getting to the feeder, though she did muscle in for that mash.

I did sprinkle a little chick grit around the brooder this morning; they've had nothing but their feed since we got them.

Is she just a noisy chick? I will say I do not hear her until I open the coop door. Then, "Peep! Peep! Peep! Peep!" while she runs around and eats, rather like the video posted earlier in the thread.

Perhaps I've said something offensive...

Sorry she died, poor thing.

Do you have Nutri-Drench around? That stuff is pretty amazing. I'm pretty sure it has saved a couple of my birds' lives, so I always keep a bottle on hand. A lot of people give chicks a drop or two from the end of a q-tip along the chicks' beak the first day or two. That bit of energy can be very helpful for them, it seems.

General question for everyone again: While most of the birds have settled, one of the Buckeye chicks is just cheep, cheep, cheep no matter what she is doing: eating, drinking, preening, running beneath the heat plate, sitting in my lap (where this morning she a) ate from my hand b) fell asleep and b) pooped on my hand...though the poop did look healthy, at least...!).

She does not smell bad, her rump is not pasty, she is eating (including some of the Water & Nutri-Drench mash I made this morning--just a couple of tablespoons' worth for all, but they loved it!) and drinking. She *is* quite small, the runt of this group, but feathers are beginning to come in (always amazes me, they're only five days old...!). When I do go out there I try to pick her up and give her food from my hand in case she is so small she has trouble getting to the feeder, though she did muscle in for that mash.

I did sprinkle a little chick grit around the brooder this morning; they've had nothing but their feed since we got them.

Is she just a noisy chick? I will say I do not hear her until I open the coop door. Then, "Peep! Peep! Peep! Peep!" while she runs around and eats, rather like the video posted earlier in the thread.

Perhaps I've said something offensive...
Might she just be scared when you walk in?

Back
Top Bottom