Distressed about a Lethargic chicken

BarneyNCyndi

Songster
9 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Everett, wa
Our RIR – Goldie is lethargic. She is six months old and has usually been laying normally. For the past three days, she hasn’t layed an egg. She is usually kind of stand offish around the other girls but she wouldn’t get down off the roost this morning. We put her up on the roost last night. She is the most picked on of our girls (1 of 6) and (1 of 2 RIRs). I have recently seen her poop and it does look blackish and runny. We have been given our girls. Corid in a 4 gallon water container. We have been using the prophylactic does of 3ml/gal. Our dog came down with coccid when the girls were about 6 weeks old. A were born in July 2014. We also give poultry booster a pelleted type supplement of vitamins and minerals.
So, onto my problem – being a newbie. What do we do to isolate Goldie from the group? I have seen the bath tub, we have a small run that we used with the girls were little. Not sure if she should be outside though. There isn’t a coop attached to it and I am worried about her being too cold. It is very wet/foggy and has been and it is predicted to be that way for days. She has lost weight, we checked her against her sister and she is thin. Some say said check something in one of the forums – I didn’t understand what chicken part that was. I have tried different things today to get her to eat. I have tried yogurt and the other girls think I am the best person in the world. Goldie just stood to the side and didn’t want to do anything. So this afternoon, I tried tofu and of course the other girls think I should be queen. Goldie just stood away from everyone. I do notice that when she is away from everyone else she fluffs out her feathers you know how they do that after they have dusted themselves. She feels warm, she does have a dirty comb. We had a round of frost bite a few weeks back and they got their combs slicked.
Someone please reply L . This is my plan so please let me know what you think. I am going to bring her in the house. I won’t sleep a wink if I know she is outside by herself. I can use a temporary dog gate and a box. I don’t think she will try and get out of it. I am going to see if her poop reacts to hydrogen peroxide. I will also try someone else’s poop to see if it reacts too. If so, then all poop reacts and it am back to guessing. I know how hydrogen peroxide reacts to blood. To me, it looks black enough to be blood. Next step, convince my husband that I am not nuts.
I am going to try separate water and food for her while she is inside, I am thinking of a yogurt/feed mixture. Thoughts advice??

I thought about posting a picture of the poop but It is dark now.

I would increase your Corid liquid to 10ml per gallon, the extreme treatment dose. If you have a dog crate that will fit inside the coop, you can put her there with food and Corid water. Offer some scrambled egg to eat with her feed. Check inside her vent with a glove 1-2 inches for a stuck egg. If a vet is an option, you could check her droppings for enteritis, cocci, and worms.

Ok, we have increased the corid solution to 10mil/gal for Goldie. Her poop is now a chocolate brow with lots of white. It is also pretty water and nothing is reacting to the hydrogen peroxide. Tonight she has has moved around a little bit. She is in our house and we keep it kind of cool around 65. We have offered her yogurt with feed mixture plus some cilantro and plain feed. She has only eaten a little cilantro.

I didn't check the vent. Not sure what to do. We checked the Storeys guide and nothing. Is there still some other type of reference?

I am wondering if I should take the day off to chicken sit. Not sure what my boss might think of it.

Last edited:
Ok, I can now say that I have done my first vent check. Here are my findings of a close inspection: she does have some broken feathers near the opening. No strong odor more like the smell of the DE that we put in their spa bath. The opening was pale pink that was pinker inside. I could feel it contract and when I was about 1/2 in inside, I could feel an open passage. When I was about 1-1/2 inches inside I ran my finger inside and didn't feel anything just soft tissue. I didn't see anything that resembles white discharge. I was reading about fleet so, I am going to rule that out.

I am going to share my yogurt and buttermilk with her. I am not not sure what to do about protein. I was thinking about some tofu and some ground beef. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Where should we go from here?

Last edited:
Ok, I can now say that I have done my first vent check. Here are my findings of a close inspection: she does have some broken feathers near the opening. No strong odor more like the smell of the DE that we put in their spa bath. The opening was pale pink that was pinker inside. I could feel it contract and when I was about 1/2 in inside, I could feel an open passage. When I was about 1-1/2 inches inside I ran my finger inside and didn't feel anything just soft tissue. I didn't see anything that resembles white discharge. I was reading about fleet so, I am going to rule that out.

I am going to share my yogurt and buttermilk with her. I am not not sure what to do about protein. I was thinking about some tofu and some ground beef. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Where should we go from here?

Egg. Hard boiled egg mashed up well. I've rarely seen a chicken refuse egg. The best protein source, even for chickens. They like grape too, cut up. I've also used plain oatmeal right out of the carton. Cooked rice, too. But for protein, use egg.

Oh, editing to say if you are treating with Corid, I think you are supposed to avoid items high in thiamine. So, have to keep that in mind when looking for alternative food sources. Chickens will eat about anything, but avoid chocolate and avocado is what my vet told me regarding birds.

Last edited:
X2 on the hard boiled egg. She could have had a bad cocci infection. Even after Corid treatment she may need help eating. Also, if she wasn't drinking she may not have gotten enough Corid. I just finished treating my EE, but I had to do it via dropper since she wasn't drinking.

I already peeled mashed without shells and served. She moved around the pen this morning preferring the covered side of mini pen. I haven't seen her drinking but we measured the bottle so we can tell if she has been drinking.. Unfortunately, I can't work from home today but I will be with her tomorrow. I hope to come home to her showing signs of improvement.

Thank you all for your support. I wish you could see my tears of gratitude.

Back
Top Bottom