Disturbing hen on nest. Can she delay laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaintedMeadows, Oct 28, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    My son and I went to check eggs and Scuttlebutt was on her nest. Then she pushed stuff around, squawked a bit and left right behind us. If we disturbed her getting ready to lay then will she hold off and lay later or can they do that? She is a new layer.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've disturbed mine from time to time. What usually happens is I will go to let them out while a hen is on the nest. She'll leave the nest and run out the door with the others just to make sure she's not missing out on a treat or something. She goes back to the nest after a short while and takes care of business.

3. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Whew. OK. Thanks. My son just came running in and said she is on the nest again so I will go check later. Oh the stresses these little sweeties put us though. [​IMG]

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine always do that when I sneak up on them.

They always go back after about 5 mins.

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    I have a new pullet that I thought might be sitting on an egg and she was. I added a few more eggs to see what she would do. She got up and after 30 minutes was still not back to sitting.

Can I leave the eggs in there for a while to see if she will sit?

I wouldn't say she is broody but she did peck my finger several times which is unlike her.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    They dont like to be watched !!! Some of mine do the same, some dont mind me in the coop while laying !!!

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    My RIR girls get to squawlking when I disturb them, youd think I walked in on them in the shower. But they go back in a few minutes. My EE's will usually stay sitting but I dont think they actually lay till I leave.

8. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    [​IMG] Thanks folks. she went back and laid her egg so I guess she likes her privacy. [​IMG] I love these characters! [​IMG]

9. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    Quote:Love the line about the shower. Mine do that when they're squacking and I open the back door...they all freeze in place and have that "deer in the headlights" look. So funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by