Diving in beak first!

KageAngel02

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Southern Arkansas
Hello all! I've been prowling around the site as a guest for a while, finally decided to join. Not sure really how to start, so just using the template i found.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
No, but a refresher is in serious need. I got my first chickens, oh, back in middle school? Not long after we moved there, my grandfather took me to the auctions he goes to ever saturday. While they were doin their thing, i noticed a feathered thing poking around the barn. After following and playing with it, i found i loved the little spunky roo that lived at the feed store. Some weeks later, my parents went and bought an older retired race horse. While they were finishing the paperwork, i followed the mass of peeping sounds to some bins. And there, my love of chickens began. Wouldn't leave until i got me a batch, left with 16 oegb's and 16 LF, along with 16 ducks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
At the moment, i have just 7 hens, but plan on getting a roo and more later on.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have a hen LF Golden Star Sexlink, a white silkie bantam, a buff polish bantam, black japanese oegb, silver and gold duckwing and an unknown oegb.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Was trying to look up the names and future colors of my biddies and stumbled across this site. Foudn the 'Show me your oegb' thread and was hooked.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Drawing, reading, writing and anything to do with nature. I'm a bird at heart and love me some outdoors. I love the piano and guitar, even though i have no clue how to play either. Figuring out how to put things together or figure out a problem not on paper is an exciting challenge to me.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have two dogs, a chihuahua who just LOVES my biddies, and a bulldog/lab mix rescue. I have a husband who is learning to love chickens as much as i do, working over a childhood trauma he had with a nasty tempered hen. I'm ever curious and love to find out new things. My motto is to learn at least one new thing every day, and to NEVER give up on something you love. Not much else interesting about me, really. I hope to have lots of fun and learn so much more about the cuties i so adore.

Last edited:
You have already mentioned a lot of interesting things about you. So glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock. The Learning Center is a great refresher course, and also the "Raising Backyard chickens" forum above.

If you can't find an answer to your questions come back here and let us know.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You have a very good and thorough introduction. Gold Star, Gold Sex Link, etc. are a few of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and they are laying machines. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from that girl. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You have a very good and thorough introduction. Gold Star, Gold Sex Link, etc. are a few of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and they are laying machines. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from that girl. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.
Thank you. I figured she was just a red sexlink, since i'd never heard of a gold till then, but didn't argue about it. I wanted her because she reminded me of a mix-up we got during my second attempt at getting chickens back in 2011. A red sexlink hen and roo got mixed up with our RIR's we ordered. Sweetest beauty ever. Friend has one that gives him two eggs every two or three days, otherwise one a day. Will do, i'll be having tons when i finally get around to getting a roo and breeding my oegb's. : ) Thank you.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you joined us. IMO all folks who love chickens are the most interesting of all
jumpy.gif
Great intro.

Looks like you already know your way around the forums, good luck with your flock. Enjoy the forums.

Thank you. I figured she was just a red sexlink, since i'd never heard of a gold till then, but didn't argue about it. I wanted her because she reminded me of a mix-up we got during my second attempt at getting chickens back in 2011. A red sexlink hen and roo got mixed up with our RIR's we ordered. Sweetest beauty ever. Friend has one that gives him two eggs every two or three days, otherwise one a day. Will do, i'll be having tons when i finally get around to getting a roo and breeding my oegb's. : ) Thank you.

You're welcome. Enjoy all those eggs. :eek:)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
I enjoyed your intro! Sounds like you have a lovely flock. Those are some great breeds you have there. Love your motto! It's very true and inspiring
thumbsup.gif

Good luck to you and welcome to our flock of chicken lovers!

Back
Top Bottom