DIY ac for the coop.

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by brinda t, Aug 18, 2013.

1. brinda t

brinda t Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Celina Texas
    Made this ac for my chicken coop. Great for brodie hens in the nesting box. Cost 9 bucks to make it. Works pretty good for 9 bucks!

2. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I just had an old window unit laying around, put it to use! My flock never gets too cold or warm.

[​IMG]

3. npb3100

npb3100 New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    thats really cool!!! may have to think about this when i get my chickens next spring..

4. CosmoTheRooster

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! It helps a lot during peak months in summer and winter.

5. npb3100

npb3100 New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    welcome!!! Im really considering it.

6. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    The AC thing might be what I'm looking for. I worry so about the gals when they're on the nest mid-day in 100 degree heat. Also, I have a bantam hen that I adore, but she is incessantly broody. I've had her indoors in a huge crate during the day for about four weeks now. I love her to death, but do NOT want birds indoors. -have wondered if a small AC would work well, or if it would use a lot of energy (especially in an 8 x 12 coop that isn't insulated). -very nice coop setup, by the way.

7. CosmoTheRooster

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, my coop is not insulated. It does not take up a lot of energy, it works well in the summer. I haven't tested the heating part yet(Not cold enough). If you do use a window unit, make sure it's in the window snug, so it does not vibrate.

8. boxofpens

boxofpens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    You will probably need to clean it often as well. We have 2 window units in our barn for our dairy cows and have to clean them 1/wk. The A/C gets them out of the 100+ degree weather here in TX during the peak heat of the summer, our cows are a lot less fussy and a lot less destructive. Both units cost less than $50/month (for both) to run in a 16x20 room. Milk production decreases when cows are heat stressed. I'm not sure about egg production. Our chickens did fine with a fan on low in the evenings. Chickens are much more dusty than cows (a least ours are) so I would imagine you would have to clean the window unit for a coop quite often to keep it from freezing up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by