DIY automatic Humidity apparatus?

That humidity controller looks nice and, I believe, should be accurate... Not that humidity control needs to be that precise (to the unit) in incubation, imho... And remember, that's a switch AND (not like the one I used) it has humidity % display...

Btw, you can find similar units slightly cheaper of ebay... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...Air+Humidity+Control+Controller+110v&_sacat=0

I was able to reach 80% with the one I've build... Remember, it was an external unit using cold water... If you can fit it inside your incubator, all the better... The water will be warm (incubator temperature), hence more efficient in humidity output.

I never used one but, imho those ultrasonic foggers are way overkill for small incubators (depends on the size of your incubator, of course)... No need for that amount of humidity output... Just my feeling...

Good luck with those duck eggs!

Last edited:
That humidity controller looks nice and, I believe, should be accurate... Not that humidity control needs to be that precise (to the unit) in incubation, imho... And remember, that's a switch AND (not like the one I used) it has humidity % display...

Btw, you can find similar units slightly cheaper of ebay... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...Air+Humidity+Control+Controller+110v&_sacat=0

I was able to reach 80% with the one I've build... Remember, it was an external unit using cold water... If you can fit it inside your incubator, all the better... The water will be warm (incubator temperature), hence more efficient in humidity output.

I never used one but, imho those ultrasonic foggers are way overkill for small incubators (depends on the size of your incubator, of course)... No need for that amount of humidity output... Just my feeling...

Good luck with those duck eggs!

I think you're right, I'm going to forgo the fogger and rig up one with the baby wipes container. Will work out to cost about the same. I'm going to make it using a mini fridge so hopefully it will be able to just sit in the bottom, will make things a lot easier...I'll check out that link when I'm on a computer that will let me, thank you!

Thanks, not going so well right now but I just got them on a whim from someone who was really only selling them to eat. They are a grab bag of about 5 types of ducks. I like surprises so why not.
So far 5 out of 13 were clear and 1 died in the first week. I had them split between incubator and broody hen and ended up putting them all under the hen (minus the clear ones). I know at least 6 were growing but I couldn't get to a couple as the hen was not appreciating me messing with her eggs. She did great with the last hatch so I trust her better than my incubator right now. I just hope she isn't too confused when ducks come out instead of chicks!

Higher humidity output means faster recovery times and less lag... No it's not necessary but I find the ultrasonic humidifiers to be very convenient due to price and function...

Also not all of them are high output like a pond fogger, some of the small USB desktop ones are very low output and can work well even in a small incubator...

Higher humidity output means faster recovery times and less lag... No it's not necessary but I find the ultrasonic humidifiers to be very convenient due to price and function...

Also not all of them are high output like a pond fogger, some of the small USB desktop ones are very low output and can work well even in a small incubator...

Do you have a link to one of the USB desktop humidifiers you are referring to? Do you have an automated set up or do you just use it when you see the humidity dropping? I saw a couple but the reservoirs were so small that I feel like they wouldn't work in an automated set up, I would spend just as much time worrying that they had run dry...

Do you have a link to one of the USB desktop humidifiers you are referring to? Do you have an automated set up or do you just use it when you see the humidity dropping? I saw a couple but the reservoirs were so small that I feel like they wouldn't work in an automated set up, I would spend just as much time worrying that they had run dry...

I don't currently have an automated system, my big fully automated incubator is a work in progress as time permits and time has been short...

No recommendation for seller (just random Ebay grabs), just an example of what types I have used... Any of the USB ones can be powered from a 5VDC power adapter, or even a regular wall outlet to USB adapter...

These are dead simple just drop in a bowel or cup of water...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-sale-Po...er-Purifier-/131391247560?hash=item1e978754c8

I used one of these for a long time in my Styrofoam incubator, it's a small steady stream not a lot of humidity at all... The biggest drawback to this one, was the fact it has a 'soft' on/off switch, meaning you just can't unplug and plug it in, you have to power it up and then press the button to turn it on... Or you could hack and override the button if you really wanted to...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cool-Wa...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a3eb48497

And this is what my fully automatic incubator in the works will use, as it will be a large incubator and I need the bigger volume...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mist-Mister...trasonic-M2-/151734275558?hash=item2354114de6

I currently have a small desktop ultrasonic in my current incubator, I turn that on and off manually once they start to pip to boost humidity and prevent shrink wrap... That incubator holds decent humidity with just a tray of water in it so no need to fiddle with a a humidifier normally...

i went a different way with auto humidity. I added a air channel that has a water reservoir then controlled a fan to increase the humidity. The incubator was made from a wine cooler so humidity is easy to raise. I like the look of the air mist humidifier and if I was to build another I would probably test one. Mine is arduino controlled and have been running none stop for 3 months now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/976303/building-a-incubator-from-a-wine-cooler

Has anyone considered trying a nebulizer?the mist woud be smaller particles than a traditional humidifier and it comes with the tubing... just a thought

I have given consideration to it. An other thought would be to use an aquarium pump with the air tubing going into a bottle of water. Not sure what the means would be to move the resulting moisture saturated air into the bator, or how, with either method you could control the humidity. I think it's just as simple to control humidity with a cup of water and a sponge.

I have given consideration to it. An other thought would be to use an aquarium pump with the air tubing going into a bottle of water. Not sure what the means would be to move the resulting moisture saturated air into the bator, or how, with either method you could control the humidity. I think it's just as simple to control humidity with a cup of water and a sponge.
controlling the on/off of it is where I am stuck to. I have been looking for something similar to the relegulator I plug the heat lamp into for the temp but I have not been successful.

controlling the on/off of it is where I am stuck to. I have been looking for something similar to the relegulator I plug the heat lamp into for the temp but I have not been successful.

they make humidity controls just like they make temp controls. What type are you looking for ---- wire yourself or plug and play?

Back
Top Bottom