DIY Bucket feeder spills, help!

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
I just bought a 6 pack of pvc ports to make a DIY feeder out of a bucket. When they put their heads in, extra crumbs fall out to create a mess. Please help!
I tried it with the ports put in properly, but now trying to decide if I need to put them upside down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 61
Adding more:

I’ve been sitting here looking at the photo I posted, and I think I see what might be the problem. My diy bucket feeders have pvc elbow pipes. The pipes go almost all the way to the bottom of the bucket. There is about an inch clearance. The chickens have to put their head in and stretch a ways downwards to reach the feed. This makes it harder for them to bill the feed out.

Your ports (and the ones in the photo I posted) look like they go straight in. No downward curve. That means the feed is right at the same level as the hole the chicken sticks it’s head into. I think that makes it easy for them to pull feed out. And maybe also easy for gravity, and the weight of the feed in the bucket, to push feed out through the port.

Mine are more like this, and all that extra space is air, not full of feed.
97ABB0CF-40F6-4708-B306-EC3B92B80BB8.jpeg

Mine would have to pull the feed a long way up and out that curve in order to bill it out. I think that’s what makes the difference.

Mine are more like this, and all that extra space is air, not full of feed.View attachment 3661110
Mine would have to pull the feed a long way up and out that curve in order to bill it out. I think that’s what makes the difference.
I think I understand what you mean. I need a longer tube end to the feeder. These do come short. I ended up closing 1/2 the opening using duct tape and a piece of the circle I cut out of the bucket. The spillage is gone now!

Back
Top Bottom