****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
This is how I'm doing it now. A t piece and 2x45 deg bends either end. Works great for no mess

The food below fell out when I changed from the 90deg angle to this, not from them scraping it out.

I love this one:) Thanks!!

Matt, I found the bottom of the bottle to be a little too thin and therefore didn't have enough bite to hold the nipple in with chicks pecking at it. So I flipped the bottle upside down and put the nipple in the cap. It is thicker so more area of contact with the threads on the nipple. I also wrapped a little plumbers tephlon tape around the threads on the nipple before screwing it to the cap, so no leaks!

Here is a picture of mine using a Dasani bottle. The caps are universal so I can use it on any size Dasani bottle, just poke a tiny hole in the bottom of the bottle before screwing on the cap and filling. Great when I only need a little one for baby chicks, then move to a bigger one as they grow and drink more water.

Good job:) One thing, this may not work vary good unless you have air being able to get into the bottle. Other wise the water will not come out. The bottom works great for me and I can control the air flow but loosening the cap:)

Just wandering if there have been many that have had troubles with the chickens scooping the feed out of the feeder? After starting out with a similar style ( we just did holes instead of the cutout rectangle, we were not seeing the feed fill the pipe (I think it was too wide a lower horizontal tube). see pics below.

Since then I have tried to slightly different style of PVC feeder with the 90 and 45 degree connections (see below) and liked the results until the chickens decided to scoop out the feed all over the pen. We burned through a 40 pound bag of feed in about a week with 11 chickens.

I have noticed that on some other discussions there have been suggestions to raise them up to back height.

I apologize if this has already been addressed in later posts- I just don't have the time to read through the 25 pages of conversations.
Any suggestions?

Excellent thread! I have another project for my hubby to add!!! Thanks so much to all the participants in this discussion!

LOL!! It will make him happy to have more projects:) I agree this discussion has gotten out of hand!! Ha ha ha!!

Just wandering if there have been many that have had troubles with the chickens scooping the feed out of the feeder? After starting out with a similar style ( we just did holes instead of the cutout rectangle, we were not seeing the feed fill the pipe (I think it was too wide a lower horizontal tube). see pics below.

Since then I have tried to slightly different style of PVC feeder with the 90 and 45 degree connections (see below) and liked the results until the chickens decided to scoop out the feed all over the pen. We burned through a 40 pound bag of feed in about a week with 11 chickens.

I have noticed that on some other discussions there have been suggestions to raise them up to back height.

I apologize if this has already been addressed in later posts- I just don't have the time to read through the 25 pages of conversations.
Any suggestions?

I would agree that bring it up higher should help for sure:) Look how they scoop it out. They can't scoop it out as easy if it is higher!

Hope that helps!

Good job:) One thing, this may not work vary good unless you have air being able to get into the bottle. Other wise the water will not come out. The bottom works great for me and I can control the air flow but loosening the cap:)
Yes Matt,

I forgot to mention that i poked a tiny hole in the bottom if the bottle. Then I just put my finger over it when refilling..

Thanks- I have raised it to about a foot off the ground. We will see if it helps. I was not able to test it today as I was buying more feed and didn't get home before they were in the coop for the night.
roll.png

Thanks- I have raised it to about a foot off the ground. We will see if it helps. I was not able to test it today as I was buying more feed and didn't get home before they were in the coop for the night.
roll.png

Well, update us when you can:)

Yes Matt,

I forgot to mention that i poked a tiny hole in the bottom if the bottle. Then I just put my finger over it when refilling..

Do you think that applies to those ball bearing type ones that guinea pigs use that you screw on an old drink bottle?

Have one for my odd beaked hen but I was wondering if it was letting enough out.

Back
Top Bottom