****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics

mat2dong

Songster
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Hello to all my chicken friends!!!

So, some time back I made a chicken feeder pipe that is 3" in diameter by 50" long. It fed my 3 girls for 25 days. (Keep in mind they free range) I think it's the best thing since sliced bread and so I wanted to share it with you:)

I also made a video of how to put it together. You can watch that video and read what I did to build it and why at my blog:)

Please tell me what you guys think!!

http://homefarmideas.blogspot.com/2012/08/chicken-feed-pipe.html

No one has replied, but good job! Nice video - but a suggestion - did you use glue? Sorry I have the video on silent until half way through when I could get the volume on my computer to work, don't know if you said anything about that.

No one has replied, but good job! Nice video - but a suggestion - did you use glue? Sorry I have the video on silent until half way through when I could get the volume on my computer to work, don't know if you said anything about that.
O thank you:)

I did not use glue because it was not needed. I am not against it. To me glue is all ways good! LOL!

Pass it around if it helps you please. God Bless!!

Last edited:
WAY better than my attempt at a pvc feeder....4 weeks ago, i attempted to make one and wanted to use a hole saw to make holes instead of a nice, simple rectangle opening.

The bit stuck into the pipe, the drill handle spun hard, and knocked two of my fingers sideways--breaking a bone in my hand. After i get the cast off this week, i'm going to cut a nice simple rectangle. You're absolutely right--the simpler the better!!!

:)

WAY better than my attempt at a pvc feeder....4 weeks ago, i attempted to make one and wanted to use a hole saw to make holes instead of a nice, simple rectangle opening.

The bit stuck into the pipe, the drill handle spun hard, and knocked two of my fingers sideways--breaking a bone in my hand. After i get the cast off this week, i'm going to cut a nice simple rectangle. You're absolutely right--the simpler the better!!!

:)

Ouch!!! You poor thing! When you do the hole have someone there to help you :)

Love this!! I have been feeding my girls outside in the run, but with winter around the corner I need to devise something for inside the coop. This idea is simple enough even I can do it!! Thank you for the idea and the video on how to do it!!
goodpost.gif

Love this!! I have been feeding my girls outside in the run, but with winter around the corner I need to devise something for inside the coop. This idea is simple enough even I can do it!! Thank you for the idea and the video on how to do it!!
goodpost.gif

No problem at all:) I love helping others take the best of care for there girls!

Check out the water nipple post as well. If you plan on setting up your waterer with these nipples on like a pvc pipe and attaching that to a bucket you can buy a fish take heater and put it in the bucket so the water does not freeze over:)

Check out the post on the waterer here: http://homefarmideas.blogspot.com/2012/08/chicken-watering-nipples.html

This is exactly what I was looking for - I am going to build one tomorrow. Does it keep rodents away?

This is exactly what I was looking for - I am going to build one tomorrow. Does it keep rodents away?

That depends on how you have it. I have mine off the ground so it is not as easy for them to get in the pipe:)

I made both of these things for my coop..and here are the cons: make sure you have a cap on the feeder that will not allow water to get in, as then you have moldy food. As for the nipples...make sure they are attached very tightly..the chickens pull them off and then all the water dumps out. By the way, I have my tube feeder on the outside, but it actually fits into a hole at the bottom of the coop, and is on the inside. Other than that..it's all good!

Back
Top Bottom