DIY chicken toys

Featherlove23

Chirping
Apr 29, 2022
Idaho
Anyone got any pictures of chicken toys they've made. My flock is looking bored. And one of my roosters keep crowing all day. Want to try some DIY toys to entertain them. Preferably something I can make from stuff I may already have. Want a variety of things to try. Thanks in advance.

You can put snacks into a toilet paper roll, or you can hang things like lettuce from the top of their coop. When my chickens get bored I like to give them another perch or different places to jump and explore.

Last edited:
My flock seems particularly happy with cabbage, lettus or other stringable fruit and veggies hung from ropes in the coop, but anything that they can perch on seems to provide a good deal of entertainment. I switch out and move around logs with branches still attached in the run regularly for mine.

It was probably silly of me to assume, but I was assuming if someone was looking for boredom busters their birds are locked in a run, and not a huge one. Small run + chickens = no greens left + occasional cabbage + balanced feed = good thing. My father would be appalled, I don't know how many times I've hear what assuming does to you and me. :oops:

And @aart is right, I should have definitely specified that switching up the run or adding square footage should be a first step, and food should not be offered as a solution in amounts where is making your chickens diet no longer balanced.

Anyone got any pictures of chicken toys they've made. My flock is looking bored. And one of my roosters keep crowing all day. Want to try some DIY toys to entertain them. Preferably something I can make from stuff I may already have. Want a variety of things to try. Thanks in advance.
Are you having any issues? Typical issues are feather picking, bullying, even cannibalism. Are you confusing contentment with boredom? One of their pleasures is laying around doing nothing.

To me the greatest boredom buster is room. If they have sufficient room they are generally content. If they are crowded you get behavioral issues. Those issues are not from boredom, those are from being too close to each other too much.

I agree, some photos could be helpful to come up with specific ideas. What do chickens like to do when they are not eating or drinking or laying eggs or mating if you have a rooster? One is laying around doing nothing, often in the shade or under a tree or bush so they are protected from hawks. That's part of their survival instincts. When feral chickens are foraging for food they are vulnerable to predators so once they fill their crop they go somewhere safe to digest it.

They like to take a dust bath. All they need is an area that has dirt in it. This helps control mites and lice, or at least stop the itching.

They like to perch. It doesn't have to be real high, just somewhere they can get up off the ground to make watching for predators easier. They may even play King of the Mountain.

They like to scratch. That's how they look for a lot of food and bits of gravel for grit. They will scratch in dirt but bedding can be fun to scratch in too. Maybe try deep bedding. Putting a compost pile in the run can provide a lot of enjoyment.

If you are not having issues then none of this is probably needed, but it doesn't hurt anything either. If all this does is make you feel better because you are doing something for them, there is value in that too. If it helps you enjoy your chickens then go for it.

Are you having any issues? Typical issues are feather picking, bullying, even cannibalism. Are you confusing contentment with boredom? One of their pleasures is laying around doing nothing.

To me the greatest boredom buster is room. If they have sufficient room they are generally content. If they are crowded you get behavioral issues. Those issues are not from boredom, those are from being too close to each other too much.

I agree, some photos could be helpful to come up with specific ideas. What do chickens like to do when they are not eating or drinking or laying eggs or mating if you have a rooster? One is laying around doing nothing, often in the shade or under a tree or bush so they are protected from hawks. That's part of their survival instincts. When feral chickens are foraging for food they are vulnerable to predators so once they fill their crop they go somewhere safe to digest it.

They like to take a dust bath. All they need is an area that has dirt in it. This helps control mites and lice, or at least stop the itching.

They like to perch. It doesn't have to be real high, just somewhere they can get up off the ground to make watching for predators easier. They may even play King of the Mountain.

They like to scratch. That's how they look for a lot of food and bits of gravel for grit. They will scratch in dirt but bedding can be fun to scratch in too. Maybe try deep bedding. Putting a compost pile in the run can provide a lot of enjoyment.

If you are not having issues then none of this is probably needed, but it doesn't hurt anything either. If all this does is make you feel better because you are doing something for them, there is value in that too. If it helps you enjoy your chickens then go for it.
They have decent amount to roam. I'll get a picture. They have several things to club on and perch. They pretty much sit around. They do get treats but not often.
Best not to use food for 'boredom' issues.
What does your coop and run look like @Featherlove23 ?
Pics would help here.

Wondering if it's the birds or you that is bored? ;)

Stuff to climb on and under;
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
It's bigger then it looks in the photo. The snow machine has absolutely no fluid in it. And it there temporarily. I only have 7 birds. Although we do plan to extend then pen to the other side of the camper. There's lots of bugs over there.

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_160122356.jpg
    IMG_20220923_160122356.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 50

Back
Top Bottom