DIY Egg Candler

Bob1956

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
DIY Egg Candler

I wanted to share with you, a simple but effective egg candler that I have just made. The total build cost is about £3 ($6), and it is very easy to make. You will only need 3 components as shown below.

1. A small 9 x LED torch (approx 95mm long x 30mm diameter) available from lots of local outlets at a cost of around £3 ($6). It requires 3 x AAA batteries, which were supplied.

2. An old empty 35mm film canister (black), if you don’t have one they will give you them for free at film processing shops.

3. A 20mm open rubber grommet (not essential), from most diy or electrical outlets costing next to nothing.

01.jpg

Discard the lid from the film canister, you don’t need that part. Try to find a canister that is a snug fit onto the end of the torch, or use some electrical tape to hold it on. Drill or cut a 20mm hole into the base of the canister as shown below.

02.jpg

Push the rubber grommet into the hole, it’s a tight fit and does not need fixing. This part is not essential, see below.

03.jpg

Now just fit the canister onto the end of the torch as shown below, and you are done.

04.jpg

On lighter shelled eggs, it really illuminates the egg very well. It is even quite good at illuminating darker and thicker shelled eggs.

Regards Bob

Thanks, Bob. This is exactly what I needed. I don't do that much candling, but it is useful once in a while, and I just didn't want to take much time to build a more substantial, permanent one. Again, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom