DIY Electric Scalder with NO cutting or wiring needed

wsmoak

Songster
Apr 21, 2010
a little north of Columbus, GA
Like just about everyone else, I started out heating water on a propane camp stove and stopping before every scald to get the temperature right before dunking the birds. I also tried an electric heating element, but with no thermostat it had the same problem of fiddling with the temperature, and worse, had to be unplugged if it was removed from the water.

But finally, things came together when MontanaMeatBird mentioned a Ranco ETC thermostat in a different thread.

Today I present the Husband Free Scalder -- no wiring, no cutting, just plug it in and go!

You will need a container for the water. I used a muck bucket because that's what I had already. The container needs to be a bit wider and deeper than the usual 12" diameter stock pot. The muck bucket is bigger than I needed; I'm still hunting for the perfect container.

Then you need a heater. I suggest this bucket heater: http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG/ (but look around, I don't think I paid that much...)

And finally, the thing that will turn the heater on and off and maintain the correct temperature:
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-prewired-p-87.html
(Thanks again, MontanaMeatBird!)

(The standard 16 gauge wire is fine for the 1000 watt bucket heater linked above. However, it's only another $10 to get heavier 14 gauge wire, and then the thing will be more useful if you find another application. Use the drop-down at the bottom to select your options.)

That's it. When all the parts arrive, fill the tub with water, dunk the heater and the temperature probe, and plug everything in. A bit of tape to hold the temperature probe wire is helpful. You don't want it getting too near the heater and getting melted. Also keep the thermostat itself away from the water-- it isn't sealed.

Setting the temperature is fairly straightforward, but you can read the instruction sheet. I set mine to 150F with a 3 degree variance, meaning that it will power the heater until it senses the water is at 150, then let it fall to 147 before it turns the heater back on again.

Optional:

1. Wrap the container in some kind of insulation. I had some plastic/foil honeycomb stuff around and used that. Because my muck tub was very large, I actually couldn't get it to 150F without insulation. It would do 148 or 149 though, which was fine.

2. Find or make a lid to keep heat from escaping while you're not using it. I used an upside-down trash can lid. The curve fit the top of the muck bucket reasonably well. Lining the lid with insulation also would be even better.

Have fun!

-Wendy

"Husband free"....I love it!
lol.png

Thanks for the idea, it's a good take on the pain in the butt propane so many of us use.....

Yeah... there are lots of things I can do myself, but electrical wiring is a) not something I already know how to do, and b) not something I'm terribly interested in learning.

Not that I *couldn't* figure it out by reading the instructions and watching YouTube videos... but there are only so many hours in a day.

Plus, this particular application involves water and I'd really like it done right so nobody gets electrocuted.

The 'husband free' bit is stolen from Production Acres in TN -- Tamara sells "Husband-Free Hay" which comes shrink wrapped on pallets, and is delivered on a truck with a forklift. The driver puts it where you point -- no wrangling loose bales and stacking hay.

-Wendy

Wsmoak- what do you think would be the right size "bucket"?

I really appreciate this idea. My husband is no more handy than I am, so it's usually a do-it-myself project.

eta- I have a cooler with a split hinged lid. The kind with wheels and a handle. Bet that would work. Insulation included!

Last edited:
I love this idea EXCEPT ... since the bucket heater only heats to 150, what is the purpose of the thermostat? Save some $$, just add a cheap thermometer to let you know when the water is hot enough.

Like just about everyone else, I started out heating water on a propane camp stove and stopping before every scald to get the temperature right before dunking the birds. I also tried an electric heating element, but with no thermostat it had the same problem of fiddling with the temperature, and worse, had to be unplugged if it was removed from the water.

But finally, things came together when MontanaMeatBird mentioned a Ranco ETC thermostat in a different thread.

Today I present the Husband Free Scalder -- no wiring, no cutting, just plug it in and go!

You will need a container for the water. I used a muck bucket because that's what I had already. The container needs to be a bit wider and deeper than the usual 12" diameter stock pot. The muck bucket is bigger than I needed; I'm still hunting for the perfect container.

Then you need a heater. I suggest this bucket heater: http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG/ (but look around, I don't think I paid that much...)

And finally, the thing that will turn the heater on and off and maintain the correct temperature:
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-prewired-p-87.html
(Thanks again, MontanaMeatBird!)

(The standard 16 gauge wire is fine for the 1000 watt bucket heater linked above. However, it's only another $10 to get heavier 14 gauge wire, and then the thing will be more useful if you find another application. Use the drop-down at the bottom to select your options.)

That's it. When all the parts arrive, fill the tub with water, dunk the heater and the temperature probe, and plug everything in. A bit of tape to hold the temperature probe wire is helpful. You don't want it getting too near the heater and getting melted. Also keep the thermostat itself away from the water-- it isn't sealed.

Setting the temperature is fairly straightforward, but you can read the instruction sheet. I set mine to 150F with a 3 degree variance, meaning that it will power the heater until it senses the water is at 150, then let it fall to 147 before it turns the heater back on again.

Optional:

1. Wrap the container in some kind of insulation. I had some plastic/foil honeycomb stuff around and used that. Because my muck tub was very large, I actually couldn't get it to 150F without insulation. It would do 148 or 149 though, which was fine.

2. Find or make a lid to keep heat from escaping while you're not using it. I used an upside-down trash can lid. The curve fit the top of the muck bucket reasonably well. Lining the lid with insulation also would be even better.

Have fun!

-Wendy

Hey Wendy, good thread. I like this idea and looking again I see that the temperature controller could be necessary. But I might try it first with only the heater. Looking for a smaller tub?

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-...F8&qid=1410104000&sr=8-5&keywords=muck+bucket

When we tried to use an electric heater, it kept popping our circuit breaker in the house. Does anybody know of a thermostatically controlled gas valve that can be used with the good old camp stove and pot method?

Back
Top Bottom