DIY fan and lockdown

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Little Giant incubator I'm borrowing, and it doesn't have a fan. I set eggs a week ago with three probe thermometers in there, in different parts of the incubator, and I was having wild hot and cold spots. One BYC user recommended getting a mini handheld fan, so I did, and it helped significantly! Here's what it looks like and how it's positioned:

IMG_4606.JPG

The picture is from before I set the eggs. Subsequently I ended up flipping the fan so it's facing the other way, with its handle towards the turner's motor, so the head is more centered along that wall of the incubator. That helped even further, and evened out the readings between the three probes. The fan is set to low (it has three settings).

So my question is this: do you see any red flags with this at lockdown? Is it a problem that it's blowing directly across the eggs? There are 41 eggs currently in the turner, but I'm going to take half of them out in a couple of days because of infertility and blood rings. Not sure how many will be left by lockdown, but it won't be as packed as it is now. And with the turner gone, I'll have enough room to put the fan down on its back so it's blowing up, and not at the eggs. Will that help? Where on the floor should I put it? Maybe in the center, with the eggs around it, blowing up? I've read that proper incubator fans are built so that they don't blow directly on the eggs, but I can't find any specific information or guidance on how to position DIY fans. I don't want to turn the fan off at lockdown because that will create hot and cold spots again, but I also don't want to jeopardize my hatch with it either... Any input will be appreciated!

I'm going through lock down right now and I opted to leave the fan on. So far everything is going good. My incubator was running on the high side so I've had some early hatchers, day 21 is actually tomorrow.

I'm going through lock down right now and I opted to leave the fan on. So far everything is going good. My incubator was running on the high side so I've had some early hatchers, day 21 is actually tomorrow.
Yay! Good to hear the hatch is going well! Do you still have the fan blowing towards the eggs/chicks? I'm afraid it might dry out the membranes 😟

I agree, I wouldn't have the fan blowing on the eggs. It's only in there to circulate the air. Here is a thread with a lot of good information on using LG's. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/little-giant-incubator-tricks.601352/
Thanks! I'm thinking of putting the fan on its back at lockdown, so it's blowing up and not at the eggs. Airflow won't be the same and I'm not sure if it will be enough to keep the temperature even everywhere, but at least it won't be drying out the membranes too much... Do you think that would be a good compromise? Taking the fan out entirely will create hot and cold spots again and will be worse.

I saw that thread a while back and started reading through it, but it's 172 pages long and I couldn't possibly read all of it... I tried searching for some keywords within the thread, but couldn't find any information about fan direction in particular. Maybe I'll ask in the thread itself... get more people to see the question, since my new thread here isn't generating a lot of answers 😞

@BirdsBeesTrees Oh! I see. Okay, more arguments for flipping mine as well (after I take the turner out... There's no room right now). My handheld is plugged in, so that won't be an issue.

Do let me know how your hatch is progressing! This is such good timing and has helped me a lot with my setup, too, so I would love to learn from your experience all the way to hatch 😊

Back
Top Bottom