1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DIY Floating Duck Palace.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ottyfields, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ottyfields

ottyfields New Egg

Dec 1, 2011
    This is my floating duck palace that I made for my ducks to keep them safe from predators and a place for them to lay eggs.

[​IMG]

Bottom is made of treated wood and the sides and top is cedar so it won't rot and keep it light weight. There is 2 x 2" foam blocks under the base to keep it on top of the water.

[​IMG]

It has room dividers and a removable top so I can make it 1, 2, 3, or 4 rooms. I also made some retractable walking planks so the ducklings could get up safe.

[​IMG]

I added a solar powered light to it so I can see it of a night. Guess it is a "Vacancy" light....lol

[​IMG]

This picture is of my son when we finally got the palace on water. I have it on a pulley system attached to the dock so I can pull it in and get the eggs out each day. All the hens use it daily. Nice addition to the lake.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am just flabbergasted at the cleverness of your FDP!

Fantastic work! And they even use it! Wow! I have made two duck houses they never use... But I don't have a big pond for the, so "my" duck houses are on land and the chickens have taken them over as Alternate Egg-laying Sites.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    How awesome! Great work! I bet your ducks love it!

~ Aspen

4. ottyfields

ottyfields New Egg

Dec 1, 2011
    Thanks.....

It is nice seeing them use it. At first I thought it was going to be a big waste of time....lol

It took about 2 week of enticing them with corn in the holes but they go to it now. Kind of nice cause the eggs are super clean and not muddy since they come right out of the water and lay the eggs. I keep them on the lake to help with the maintenance on it. Never knew how much they help keep it clean. Plus the kids love them, they are pets and some have names.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Speechless. :th

You did an EXCELLLENT JOB! :bow

ETA: Not sure how much time it took to make it but you have a product that people would buy. Thought about building and selling them? ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    That's beautiful! Would love to see a picture of it at night with the light on. I'm green with envy.

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Wow - am I glad I found your post! I am toying with the idea of building an octagonal floating house. Quagmire Downs (the land house) is octagonal made from pallets. I was hoping to do something similar on the water.

8. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Wow! That is fantastic!

9. HoveyFarms

HoveyFarms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    Indiana
    That is so cool! Is it predictor prof?

10. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    X2. That design is both very functional and beautiful to look at. If you have the resources and the time you could probably sell those things. Makes me wish I had ducks... and a pond that size to put your creation on. Well done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by