DIY Floating Duck Palace.....

ottyfields

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
This is my floating duck palace that I made for my ducks to keep them safe from predators and a place for them to lay eggs.

Bottom is made of treated wood and the sides and top is cedar so it won't rot and keep it light weight. There is 2 x 2" foam blocks under the base to keep it on top of the water.

It has room dividers and a removable top so I can make it 1, 2, 3, or 4 rooms. I also made some retractable walking planks so the ducklings could get up safe.

I added a solar powered light to it so I can see it of a night. Guess it is a "Vacancy" light....lol

This picture is of my son when we finally got the palace on water. I have it on a pulley system attached to the dock so I can pull it in and get the eggs out each day. All the hens use it daily. Nice addition to the lake.

I am just flabbergasted at the cleverness of your FDP!

Fantastic work! And they even use it! Wow! I have made two duck houses they never use... But I don't have a big pond for the, so "my" duck houses are on land and the chickens have taken them over as Alternate Egg-laying Sites.

Thanks.....

It is nice seeing them use it. At first I thought it was going to be a big waste of time....lol

It took about 2 week of enticing them with corn in the holes but they go to it now. Kind of nice cause the eggs are super clean and not muddy since they come right out of the water and lay the eggs. I keep them on the lake to help with the maintenance on it. Never knew how much they help keep it clean. Plus the kids love them, they are pets and some have names.

Wow - am I glad I found your post! I am toying with the idea of building an octagonal floating house. Quagmire Downs (the land house) is octagonal made from pallets. I was hoping to do something similar on the water.

Speechless.
th.gif

You did an EXCELLLENT JOB!
bow.gif

ETA: Not sure how much time it took to make it but you have a product that people would buy. Thought about building and selling them?
wink.png
X2. That design is both very functional and beautiful to look at. If you have the resources and the time you could probably sell those things. Makes me wish I had ducks... and a pond that size to put your creation on. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom