Diy flock block

jonezjollyfarm

Songster
Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Does anyone make their own flock blocks? I like to make them in winter to replace plain scratch on cold nights. There not huge like the ones you get at the feed store. I want to add some fruit to them but I'm wondering if they'll keep. I usually make a dozen or so then store them in the deep freeze. Has any tried putting fruit in them? Would the fruit juice make them not become solid when baking? Any input would be appreciated :D

Does anyone make their own flock blocks? I like to make them in winter to replace plain scratch on cold nights. There not huge like the ones you get at the feed store. I want to add some fruit to them but I'm wondering if they'll keep. I usually make a dozen or so then store them in the deep freeze. Has any tried putting fruit in them? Would the fruit juice make them not become solid when baking? Any input would be appreciated :D
sorry cut in the middle of your post but i was wondering if you could tell me how you make your flock block.:D thanks for your time :frow

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/11/flock-block-knock-off-homemade-chicken.html?m=1

I started with this recipe and have tweaked it. It works great as long as you dont try to make them too thick, they'll just crumble and fall apart. I use the cheapo mini "disposable" bread pans from the dollar tree (3 in a pack for $1) fill and pack about half way and bake at 400 till they start to burn around the edge. They are soild but not like a brick. I have to break them up a bit to prevent the chickys from fighting over it. I have over 30 birds and I think that's a decent size for everyone to have a taste but not enough to gorge themselves on it.

I've made them with dried fruit like raisins before but not fresh fruit. I stopped adding dried fruit to the mix because by the time the block baked, the fruit was hard and the birds would just eat around those bits.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe next time I make them I'll try a few cupcake sized ones with fresh fruit and see what happens. If they dont turn out solid I can just feed them immediately. My chickens are pigs they'll eat it I'm sure :D

Back
Top Bottom