DIY Incubator: Questions

The first set is hatching! (Second set due Sunday, I think)
Was having problems keeping humidity up, even with sponges! Darn things were dry, even sitting in a container of water!! I guess I got the wrong kind? Anyway, I scoured the internet and saw one post on a thread somewhere on here that used a cloth. Duh! I soaked a washcloth in hot water, wrung it out and put it in there for overnight. Humidity up to 70%!! I do have to refresh it every several hours. Suffice it to say that Lockdown has been breached many times!!!!

I also discovered one that had pipped in the narrow end probably while I was at work yesterday. 99% sure it suffocated or drowned or otherwise died :( possibly it breached the shell but the inner membrane flopped over the pip? Pulled a teeny bit of visible inner membrane off in the pip just in case. This morning I chipped away some shell carefully at the pip and a little inner membrane (no blood). No movement whatsoever :( I don’t even see a beak from what I chipped away so maybe it pipped and then moved away? It’s back in the bator for now Incase I’m wrong. Anything I could have done, or done differently (other than no go to work!)?

Back
Top Bottom