DIY incubator temp questions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kevlar, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kevlar

kevlar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Okay so I have a broody hen sitting on some eggs rite now but she is only about ten months old and this is her first time going broody so I was worried that she might get off her eggs half way through. So just in case I decided to make a incubator out of an old cooler and a bunch of stuff I found in my basement. The only thing I bought was a small thermo/hygrometer from Canadian Tire for $9.99. I put all the pieces together and I have three thermometers inside just to be sure. The digital one has been reading 99.5 to 101.5 for a day now, the regular type one that you would have outside your kitchen window reads a bit lower around 97 to 100. I also put filled a small balloon with water and slid a aquarium thermometer in to the balloon so it is suspended in the water and it reads an all most constant 96 degrees.Does this sound okay? I had three so if one was different I could still be spot on with the other two but I did not expect to have Three different temps.
  2. princetonpeeps

princetonpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Princeton, MN
    Hi there! Our VERY limited experience (one hatch so far, and setting eggs again tonight) led us to take a happy medium, an to be a touch on the cooler side if worried. We also have a homemade incubator, which hatched 17 of 23 set eggs for us in feb.

Hope we could help, good luck!

-Josh and Danielle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by