DIY nesting boxes?

TheRookie

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
Near Monroe, North Carolina
Okay we are new to chickens and we are converting our old tool shed into a coop with a run out back. Thing is... i dont know how big to make the nesting boxes. We are going to have Silkies and RIRs (i know its not a great combo but the RIRs were my moms idea). Also, if i have stuff like milk crates and 5 gal. cat litter tubs, could i convert those? Sorry for all the questions but i just dont want to mess up on my first go. Thanks
smile.png

I just use a cardboard box with straw in it and set them on the ground in the shed. If it gets dirty or broken I burn it. I like the idea of a milk crate with straw in it because it will not collect moisture or goo.

These are all 12 inches wide excpt the 2nd from the right and its 15 inches for my old big Bertha hen I own.

Last edited:
You can simply cut scrap plywood or oriented strand board (OSB) into squares of 18". Lay a bead of carpenter or Elmer's glue on the edge, and nail them together. I use a nail gun, it goes very quickly. I also shoot a piece of 1x3 or 1x4 scrap on the lower front edge. That "lip" helps to hold the straw or shavings in the box.

Set the boxes up on a couple of cinder blocks laid down. That 8" off the floor is just fine for pullets They'll take right to them.

Nesting boxes can be as simple as a cube or as fancy as you wish to make them. The hens do appreciate having the boxes located or oriented in a way that makes them dark. Hens like the darker nature of laying box to do their business.

Okay we are new to chickens and we are converting our old tool shed into a coop with a run out back. Thing is... i dont know how big to make the nesting boxes. We are going to have Silkies and RIRs (i know its not a great combo but the RIRs were my moms idea). Also, if i have stuff like milk crates and 5 gal. cat litter tubs, could i convert those? Sorry for all the questions but i just dont want to mess up on my first go. Thanks
smile.png

Two of my nesting boxes are the large cat litter pans with lids. I take the plastic door off of the lids, and use pine shavings for nest material. The girls love it, and the boys approve. (One or both of my big roos will round out a nest in the boxes every time I put in fresh material. Then they hop out and "tell" their ladies that they've found a nice nest!)

Milk crates should work just fine. I know that some people like to attach a small lip on the edge of the crate to hold the bedding in the box (as well as the eggs) but even this shouldn't be too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom