DIY SCRAP COOP

Dreamers Nook

Songster
Aug 17, 2023
I've been pondering awhile if I should even post this, being there's so many critics in this group.
I'm a homesteader, and DIY. But both I and my husband are retired, on a fixed income and taking care of my mother. Most of what I have used we had leftovers from (building my parents) and remodeling (us). So, after a horrid winter that demolished old coop and my 7 chickens, I decided to buy a pre-made shed. It's not cheap, but given situation, was best choice for us. I hope to share, for those that don't have a lot of money, to give them some ideas.
I'm raising multi purpose, pets, layers and meat, being we have family that could use help.
I wanted to insulate (did partially) with foam board and plywood. Just, I had half in foam, trust me chickens love foam, don't use unless you have plywood. They go through cardboard to get foam. I didn't have another grand after already investing that much for windows and etc. I partially insulated because where we are in Colorado, we have high winds with below zero Temps at times. So I made do with cardboard, plywood some bad peck areas, and some straw insulation. I'd like to have Eggs in winter, so I have light, and heat. Our coop is next to 3 houses on our property, so, we all keep an eye on them even at night. Where we are, we don't have raccoons, we do coyotes, but coop is between houses with 3 large dogs on property they don't come too close.

I have a covered 12 x10 pen and two fenced grazing pens for spring, so they always have greens.

Attachments

• 20231114_165411.jpg
    20231114_165411.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20231114_165426.jpg
    20231114_165426.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231114_165415.jpg
    20231114_165415.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 41
ditch the heat and the insulation they wont need it. Make sure its predator proof and itll be good, this looks great for the chickens
Thanks, and only insulated sides top is open for plenty of ventilation, because we have high winds (on a regular basis) so it acts as a barrier. We don't have any predators besides hawks. It's a Cumberland shed, so we'll built off ground, windows are high and covered (also helps with drafts).

You got to work with what you have. I would be interested to see pictures of what the outside looks like.
I'm not totally done with main run yet, will post pictures. I started with the cheap runs they have on Amazon it was a 13 x 10ft, being I first inherited 7 chickens Aug of '22 and didn't have much time to prepare. I don't have any predator worry outside hawks so seemed OK. But weather proved otherwise. 7 ft drifts that lasted all winter caved in the little coop I had and did a number on the pen. So I had to add to and stabilize the pen. I have it set up, so if that happens again, can use tractor and clear a run for them and get to them. I ordered chicks this Aug, kids are now (in pics) 3 months old lol.

I've been pondering awhile if I should even post this, being there's so many critics in this group.
I'm a homesteader, and DIY. But both I and my husband are retired, on a fixed income and taking care of my mother. Most of what I have used we had leftovers from (building my parents) and remodeling (us). So, after a horrid winter that demolished old coop and my 7 chickens, I decided to buy a pre-made shed. It's not cheap, but given situation, was best choice for us. I hope to share, for those that don't have a lot of money, to give them some ideas.
I'm raising multi purpose, pets, layers and meat, being we have family that could use help.
I wanted to insulate (did partially) with foam board and plywood. Just, I had half in foam, trust me chickens love foam, don't use unless you have plywood. They go through cardboard to get foam. I didn't have another grand after already investing that much for windows and etc. I partially insulated because where we are in Colorado, we have high winds with below zero Temps at times. So I made do with cardboard, plywood some bad peck areas, and some straw insulation. I'd like to have Eggs in winter, so I have light, and heat. Our coop is next to 3 houses on our property, so, we all keep an eye on them even at night. Where we are, we don't have raccoons, we do coyotes, but coop is between houses with 3 large dogs on property they don't come too close.

I have a covered 12 x10 pen and two fenced grazing pens for spring, so they always have greens.

looks great. just check regularly for mites as they can live in cartoon. pics of a complete set up are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom